Wisconsin Wants Hunters to “Think Pink” This Fall

In an attempt to bring more women hunters into the Wisconsin woods this fall, two state legislators have proposed a bill to legalize blaze pink camo as an alternative to blaze orange.

Democrat Nick Milroy and Republican Joel Kleefisch proposed the bill in mid-May and have surprisingly met little opposition. In fact, the news of such a bill has brought a lot of attention to the state and its hunting program. “Wisconsin has a hunting heritage that is really a strong part of the fabric of who we are as Wisconsinites,” representative Milroy told reporters at a press conference last week, adding that legislators are in search of new ways to attract patronage to a sport that has been seeing a downward trend in participation.

wi-hunt-pink

Milroy continued, adding that “the largest increase in new hunters has been among women. In 2014, women deer hunters accounted for 35 percent of resident first-time gun deer licenses and 36 percent of resident first-time junior gun deer licenses, according to the Department of Natural Resources.”

Whitetails Unlimited president, Jeff Schinkten, is among the few not so sure about such a bill becoming law.  “I like the idea that we’re catering to the women to get them into the sport … but I’m more about safety than fashion,” Schinkten announced after hearing the “think pink” news.

If the bill passes into law Wisconsin hunters would have the choice of wearing blaze pink or orange colored camo this fall. The first state to do so.

Representatives in support of this bill want hunters to keep an open mind and “Hunt Pink” this fall. Public hearings are likely to follow.

When this news story first broke it was posted on the Bowhunting.com Facebook page, which received a variety of responses from our users.

User Brandy Darby states: “If a female hunter needs the option to wear pink in order to get in the woods — maybe she’s not hunting for the right reasons. It’s less about pink and more about proper education. I really see no need in using clothing to entice women to be self-sufficient providers for their family and the whole thing seems a little odd to me. But then again — I don’t mind blaze orange LOL”

User Sherry Lee Vingum also writes: “I myself would stick with the blaze orange. If you want to wear pink, wear pink if the law passes. But honestly, I don’t think that is going to be an incentive to attract more women hunters. The love of the hunt should be the main objective…not whether or not you look “pretty in pink”.”

So what’s your take on the new proposed legislation?  If it passes will you partake in the pink this fall?

Comments

1. This is ridiculous. Wearing Blaze orange is not a fashion statement. Making neon pink a safety requirement will NOT bring more lady hunters into the field. This is truly insulting to me as a woman who hunts. If you want to impact women in the field try CLASSES that EDUCATE and organizing “Ladies in the Field” type day/weekend events. Put archery and shooting training into the schools. Have classes on field dressing, preparing and cooking wild game. For the love of the sport stop pushing PINK!

2. Theresa says:

This is redicules I am a hunter and I think this is a terrible idea! Real women hunters could care less about this subject. Now if you want to talk about having a new women hunter weekend not just a youth weekend to entice women to get out there hunt now your talking! Lol but in all seriousness just let us get out there and hunt with he guys that’s all we want no pink needs to be involved !

3. Diane Green says:

No you don’t NEED pink to hunt – but let’s face it – if I have a choice to wear Pink or Orange I’m going with PINK every time! First of all it supports Breast Cancer of which I’m very involved – I walk in the Susan G Komen 60 miles in 3-days every year and you better bet I’m PINKed out from head to toe – so this is just one more way for me to spread my Breast Cancer gospel… Kudos to you WI for giving women a choice to be one step ahead of just another one of the guys! It’s about time we get noticed as women!!
    Now if only GA will take notice!!! I can kill just as many deer and hogs in Pink as I can in any ole color – you better bet your bottom dollar…
    And I’ll be doing it with my PINK BOW… Put that in your pipe and SMOKE it…

4. Kirsten says:

Bad idea. I’ve always tried to avoid wearing pink in association with my outdoors clothing; it screams fake to me. Sometimes its unavoidable as so much women’s hunting/outdoors gear has some sort of pink on it, but honestly to me it makes me feel less equal than a male hunter. Why pink? Why can’t women have the same kind of clothing as men? I think it’s kind of sexist even, to be honest. Any women who feels the need to wear pink in order to enjoy being outside is not getting out there for the right reasons. And that men think that by using pink to entice women into getting outdoors is also pretty ignorant. As some people have said: education is important, and bringing equality to the field is essential. Women are the rising market, but get into the market with a gender-equal mind and stop that pink propaganda. It isn’t real. I want the same kind of hunting clothes that men enjoy, nothing that makes me stand out in a negative way the way I feel pink does. Besides for safety and camouflage reasons, it should’t matter what colour you wear outside, as long as you’re out there enjoying life.

5. As a girly girl, who likes to wear pink, and is also an avid deer hunter with both bow and gun, I can appreciate the recognition that the campaign brings to the fact that ladyhunters are the fastest growing demographic in the sport. I think it’s great that more women and girls are hunting, and finding empowering satisfaction and enjoyment in providing healthy food for their families. There is pride in setting ourselves apart from the guys and maybe bringing hunting to the attention of other females who may not have considered it an option for them or their daughters. Don’t like it don’t wear it, but don’t undermine any efforts to increase participation by our gender. Good luck out there ladies! Regardless of what color your wearing!

6. It really starts with a dad – they are the problem. I know a girl that wanted to go with dad and he would never take her. well now she is married to a hunter that takes her all the time. my self i dumped my best friend because he thought it was stupid to take my wife with me. i take my wife every ware i go and anywhere she wants to go. she is my best friend. So with the problem starting at home, we need to bring hunting to the schools with summer classes on shooting and most of all tracking.

7. I don’t know how much of an affect the color pink is going to in getting women to appreciate hunting more, but I like that they’re trying something. I do agree that if they want women to gravitate towards the outdoors more, they need to start at an early age.