Coyote Attacks Turkey Decoys: Would You Shoot or Pass? [Video]

It’s an all too common scene each spring. Hungry coyotes taking advantage of what looks to be an easy meal as they encounter your turkey decoys. You’ve likely seen it for yourself. If not, just give it some time. It’ll happen sooner or later. Its seems that coyotes are as visible in the spring as much as any other time of the year. That’s why these decoy encounters are so commonplace.

For some hunters, the situation quickly turns into a coyote hunt, while others simply watch things unfold and let the coyote come and go with a free pass to live another day. Which hunter are you? When coyotes attack your turkey decoys, will you shoot, or pass?

Watch the video below to see how these guys handled a coyote attacking their turkey decoys…

We want to hear from you. Comment below and let us know what you would have done in this situation.

Comments

1. Doug Krebs says:

Blast em with whatever weapon you are using if it’s legal where your hunting.

2. I take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way to take out a coyote. They kill more turkeys than hunters do.

3. hunterdan says:

Shoot them every opportunity you get. Oh, and by the way, coyote hunting season should be year round in New Jersey where I live. These are nuisance predators that create havoc for deer and turkey hunters. The coyote population keeps getting bigger and bigger.

4. John A Ruege says:

In Michigan you can shoot ’em with a base license any time of year. If a guy wants let ’em go that’s up to him. For me it’s “fire away”. They are too cagey as it is. Save a few deer and turkeys for fall. The coyotes won’t suffer a bit if you take one or two.

5. With the coyote population as large as it seems, and with the game animal killing they do, I would take the shot.

6. To quote The Untouchables, “He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue.” Take it out, but don’t waste the meat.

7. Dean Knox says:

Years ago ,probably what was my first turkey hunt with a friend who had been hunting since he was a kid , we set up some decoys in a field at the bottom of a small hill, My buddy did some calling which I thought like a sick duck lol and it actually attracted some turkeys ,but they didn’t see the decoys . As we both lay there under a big pine with the decoys now behind us and our attention on the real turkeys , My buddy Lou catches movement on the decoys , as soon as I turn to look there’s one coyote making his move and try’s to grab decoy exactly like this video, there was also another coyote up the hill , which like to me an ambush set up . Lou later shot a nice Tom , it was my first and best turkey hunt ever ! The following day Lou let out the sick duck call lol and called in a Jake to about 7 yards and I put the hammer down on him