5 Things You Should Do To Your Bow This Summer

Summer is here and that typically spells vacation, yard work and lazy days by the pool. However, if you’re a serious bowhunter (you wouldn’t be reading this if you weren’t) your favorite bow shouldn’t get left behind. In fact, even though opening day of deer season is still a few months away, now is the perfect time to dive head first into your bowhunting rig. Here are 5 things you should do to your bow this summer while the temps are rising and the days are getting longer.

Inspect It

Bowhunting can be tough; especially on your gear. Some of the damage (such as string wear) can be very visible while issues like a cracked limb, loose bolts and broken or bent accessories are a little harder to notice. Before starting your summer shooting spree give your bow a thorough inspection to insure that all of the working parts have no critical damage. This can prevent bow failure which could lead to costly repairs or even bodily harm. Neither of which are conducive to improved shooting.

String wear, limb and cam condition should be priority when giving your bow a summer shooting inspection.

Accessorize It

With the ATA show a distant memory and all of those products adorning the pro-shop shelves, now is the best time to try out some new gear. Arrows, broadheads, a new stabilizer or sights can be attached and tested in a plethora of situations long before opening day. This gives you plenty of time to decide which products actually live up to the hype and which ones should be taken back for a refund. Remember, just because pro-staff member “blank” says this or that product is the best doesn’t necessarily make it true—including myself.

There is nothing like spending a summer breaking in a new bow accessory (or arrows) in order to make a final decision on its “real-world” performance.

Compete With It

Standing flat-footed in the backyard is a good start to kicking your practice routine into gear but it does little to hone your bowhunting skills. If you really want to raise the bar you should consider incorporating the 3D range into your overall shooting program. There are two elements vital to bowhunting success that are synonymous with 3D shooting; range estimation and shooting while under pressure. A few summer months spent shooting/competing with friends or total strangers will really fine-tune your shooting skills and your nerves and that translates to “deadly” in the field.

Nobody likes to loose; especially when friends are involved. That’s what makes shooting on a 3D range with your buddies so effective. The added pressure of wanting to beat them can teach you how to overcome high-pressure situations.

Fish With It

If you’re looking for a summer-time fix and don’t have a hunt booked anytime soon, chances are you can find a worthy target lurking somewhere beneath the surface of your favorite lake or river. Bowfishing is becoming increasingly popular and the opportunities are plenty if you’re looking to come to full draw and release your arrow on something other than foam. And, while most bowhunters have a separate rig for bowfishing it isn’t totally out of sorts to use your current hunting bow. In fact, with a few accessory changes you’ll be ready to hit the water in no time.

Bowfishing is a great way to keep your archery muscles in check and enjoy some incredibly fun off-season shooting.

Upgrade It

Like I said, summer is a great time to get acquainted with new accessories and a new bow definitely qualifies as such. And even though technology makes today’s compound bow more shooter friendly than ever, it’s still a good idea to spend a little time on the range with a new killing machine. This gives you ample time to put it in as many shooting scenarios as you possibly can before taking it afield.

Currently, I am shooting the Mathews NOCAM and love it. However, before I got my hands on it my first reaction was how good could it really be? I mean, last year’s model was still in my hand and driving nails. However, this new bow is the most “consistently” accurate bow I’ve ever shot.

Sometimes it’s the little things that make a difference in how a bow performs for you. Some bowhunters prefer a smooth draw cycle and nail driving accuracy over raw speed and vice versus. Use the down months of summer to figure out which one is right for you.

Nevertheless, no matter which bow brand you shoot the moral here is there may be another pony in the stable that fits your hand a little better and throws arrows downrange with just a little more accuracy. Summer is the ideal time to discover if this is the case or not.

Conclusion

I know a few of these points could/should be done anytime of the year, but with the calendar turning to more relaxed days it is the perfect chance for hardcore bowhunters to improve their killer instinct and get to know their bow rig a little better. The end result will be more confidence when that buck you’ve spent the entire off-season dreaming about finally makes an appearance. When that happens, the last thing you will be thinking about will be your bow….

Comments

1. Dwayne Jones says:

I had a new string put on my bow and I bought a new Tru Fire Hardcore Max Foldback Release. Shooting as much as I can. #BHOD

2. Eric Burkhart says:

Another great idea to prep yourself for the great fall months ahead of us.. I like to get a lightweight target and practice shooting from my new or old sets that I have hung and practice shooting from a tree… Nothing gets you more prepared for that “perfect fall moment” like shooting from the exact location and angle you intend to be in….. Two things to remember … scent elimination is still important although its not hunting season spreading your scent throughout the woods may not hurt your chances of seeing deer in the fall but one thing is for sure it wont help. Most importantly DONT FORGET TO WEAR YOU SAFETY HARNESSES EVERYTIME YOU CLIMB INTO AND OUT OF A TREE….

3. Matthew Wolbert says:

I am getting all new gear this year and hunting in new and different spots, some on public land, and I have also updated my limb, string, arrow rest and am thinking of updating my sights. Got a lot of work to do and I hope my neck and shoulder hold out ( I have spurs in both from being in the Army).

4. Steve Flores says:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Always good to hear from fellow bowhunters…..

5. What would you consider to be consistent shooting through the summer to prep for opening day?

• steve flores says:

For me the most important thing is “Situational” practice. IN other words, practice like I plan to hunt….from a tree stand.
      Along with weight training and cardio

6. I shot over the winter. The urge was setting in to get ready for turkey season. It shure bit me in the @$$. I shot 7 shots and had to get a new draw module for my motive 6. It bent due to the 2 screws loosening. I had old module replaced and had one day to set up my bow for my league. Didn’t stop there I needed a new peep and cam timing done after.

7. Robert a.lurvey says:

I Love bowhunting.com

8. Eric Burkhart says:

I generally like to shoot at least 2 to 3 times a week thru the summer months (June – August) making any minor or major adjustments i may need to make on my bow . I’m sure most of you like myself have full time jobs and are also full time dad’s which can make it difficult to even find time to pull your bow out of your case. I have found it very helpful to get my family involved with my target pratice there are several inexpensive youth bows on the market that even 4 and 5 year old children would be able to shoot ( under the proper supervision). I mean how can you ever expect to share in your joy come deer season if you don’t let them share in the work and effort it takes to be prepared.
    During September my strategy changes, I go from 2 to 3 times a week to no more than twice a week and no more than 15 arrows per session. #1 reason lets face it guys no matter how much tweaking we do nobody out there can tell me they are “robin hooding ” arrows come october no matter how much prep we do. The reason for shooting less is by this time my adjustments should be made for the most part from here it is just keeping everything loose. I mean athletes don’t go threw gruling practice’s the day before a big game. Hunting season should be treated the same way don’t burn yourself out causing you to make an adjustment that may not necessarily be needed.

9. Lady Liberty says:

Now is the time to do these types of tune-ups and change ups. I got my first compound last year in February and they told me: “Come back in and let us check everything out in July, beginning of August. Don’t go beyond that as things start to pile up!” We’re nearing mid-July and my bow has already been given the once over, had a new d-loop installed and I had several arrows re-fletched. Kentucky opens in September and I’m READY!

Don’t be a last minute Johnny or more than likely you’ll have to drop your bow off and have to wait days or a week or more to get it back. If you have any major changes done, you won’t have long to test them out before you hit the woods!

10. Good read here and lost of good tips, spent last season with my time split between a Bear Domain and a new Hoyt Charger, needles to say the Charger is what I will be pulling out of the case this fall, as someone said Kentucky we open September 5th, and the day can not get here soon enough. So far this off season, other than shooting weekly the upgrades have been the most interesting part, from a new sight to new color scheme on the bow, having to adjust out my QAD hunter rest, only to have to spend the money to upgrade to the QAD HDX rest, was having some slap back from the hunter rest, after that and the new IQ sight, a peep adjustment and some time on the local indoor range its been outdoor, 3D and target shooting, getting the land ready and now starting some shooting from height…. we don’t have the extra stand to put up around the house, but the roof of the garage works fairly well… don’t tell the wife….

11. Scheerjoy says:

Good reads and sound tips! Bring on the Fall !!!

12. John Torchick says:

Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Thought these were some good ideas. I had a fellow in my church in KY who found the back of the house was the same height as his tree stand. He would climb onto the roof and shoot at a target on the ground. This was before 3D targets.