Should the Airbow Be Legal for Archery Season?

By now you’ve probably heard all about the Benjamin Pioneer Airbow that was unleashed in 2016 as the “next big thing” in the world of hunting weapons. More than a year later many are still wondering if this new style of weapon will find it’s place in the hunting world as being valid for hunting big game? Some states have already okayed the concept for hunting, while others are fighting it with all they got.

Benjamin Pioneer Airbow

Bow, gun, or crossbow…what exactly is the Airbow?

The Pioneer Airbow from Benjamin is an all-new category of big game weapon featuring full length arrows and full weight broadheads, all driven by air. The Pioneer can be cocked with two fingers (and decocked just as easily), and fires 8 shots in the same amount of time it takes to fire three from a crossbow, all up to a blazing 450 FPS. The Airbow measures 33.5″ in length and 2″ wide.

Jim Shockey was one of the first big-name hunters to endorse the product. He even had the opportunity to put the Pioneer Airbow to test while hunting a buffalo in Texas.

“This little tiny thing is honestly gonna revolutionize hunting…archery, crossbow…its really, really fun!” says Jim Shockey.

Here’s the video of Shockey’s demo of the AirBow…

While some consider the Airbow just another cool toy, others are already pushing for it to be accepted as a viable weapon in the world of big game hunting. In fact, just last year, Pennsylvania state Rep. Marc Gergely, issued a notice indicating his plans to introduce a bill which would make airbows legal for hunting in Pennsylvania. The state currently does not allow air-powered devices for hunting.

“I recognize that it would be unreasonable to legalize the Airbow during archery season, considering that it is significantly more advanced and has greater firepower than current compounds and crossbows,” Gergely states. “Thus, this bill intends to permit the use of an airbow during firearms season only.”

Pioneer Airbow

The Benjamin Pioneer Airbow was a pretty hot item at the 2016 ATA Show in Louisville, KY.

But others are concerned that the Airbow concept will creep into the archery and bowhunting category. After all, the Benjamin Pioneer Airbow did make it’s debut at the 2016 ATA Show, archery and bowhunting’s leading tradeshow. And it does have “bow” in the name. That’s enough to scare the snot out of traditional bowhunting advocates, as well as encourage those who would love to see the Airbow accepted as legal archery tackle.

Here’s a look at the states where Crosman believes the Airbow is currently legal for hunting big game…

states allowing airbow map

There’s only a handful of states with regulations that seem to allow the use of the Airbow for big game hunting. Will that change in the years ahead?

So what do you think? Will the Airbow ever become standard archery equipment like the crossbow? Should it? Comment below and let us know what you think.

Comments

1. First time I see someone in the woods with a speargun I’m gonna smack him.

• I couldn’t agree with you more. Even the first time I saw it I knew it was a spear gun and called it likeit is.

• ScottinVA says:

Yep, it’s an air gun that uses arrows for bullets.
      The distinction here is MECHANICAL propulsion, vs. gas propulsion.
      I might be able to get behind a sling-bow or a spring-bow for archery season, but limit this to gun season only.

• Michael Schmiesing says:

So your a bigote, you use a pulley and double arch with hooks an other machine parts! You think it’s OK for your version of the bow! You need only a long bow with hand made arrows! Everything you say is a twisted lie! As long as it’s your version of the bow, and not a real long bow! I’m more handicapped than most! I can’t walk more than twenty feet or so. I can’t sit in a high hide out! I need every chance and everything I can! You say it’s some kind of offensive thing for anyone including disabled Veterans can never have a little more edge! I think your full of shit! Go on lieing telling yourself your better because of your version of the bow is the only thing!

• Paul Blackburn says:

Man if you are so handicapped, just use a gun and forget it Stop trying to tell us this damn spear is a bow and arrow. It has no bow any where in it’s design; therefore, disqualifying it as a bow. End of story. Use it to gun hunt with and be happy. Stop pissing in our faces and telling us it is rain.

• Bob Kinneer says:

You never know when your day may come to.. Are you using a long bow. Wooden arrows? Does that bow have cam?! Go use what you want, the airbow does not stop , or do anything to your hunt. Putting down some that is disabled is so immature . You like your 7 years old…

• Bob Kinneer – Do you believe I should also be allowed to use my Benjamin Bulldog Bullpup (.357) during bow season? Please explain your answer to me. Please explain where the “bow” is within the design of the “airbow” as well.

• I think Indiana has solved the issue with the rule that IF you hunt with a crossbow, you must buy a crossbow license, (bundled license include any weapon in season). If they want to make it legal, just make a separate license or include it in the crossbow license. We are all on the same team whether we are hunting with a rifle, shotgun, airgun, muzzleloader, crossbow, airbow, or archery. As long as it provides a quick and humane kill, why oppose it?

• ScottinVA says:

James A Walls:
        IF you wish to do away with archery season altogether, that makes sense. And I agree that we are on the same team; but we are not on the same “squad”.
        But the archery season exists to give the lower-tech hunters the opportunity to hunt without competing with the scoped rifles and the shotguns.
        I would agree to allow these to hunt with the muzzle-loaders, as they seem to have similar skill-level and range.
        But they are not bows, no matter what the marketing says.

• James A Walls says:

I agree. They are air rifles and should be classified as such. I’m not a fan of allowing crossbows during archery season as it is not archery. I see your point but believe they should be allowed a season.

• all these are ways to control a already out of control population of deer/land owners with woods who won’t allow idividuals on their property to control them complain but insurances have taken the control away from them “liability” i am disabled and unable to find places to hunt because of this reason/i use a crossbow i used to hunt shotgun in the shawnee,with success

• Paul Blackburn says:

Yes, they call it gun season. Quit fowling up archery with these want to
            B archers that don’t want to put the work in to become a good archer. Just pick up a easy shooting gun stick and hunt and then call yourself an archer. No way!

• Michael Schmiesing says:

All you archery hunters can shut up! You have a machine, strings, pulleys a trigger and different materials!

Your not bow hunters at all! Your a real bow hunter when you have a stick with cat gut string! So stop your stupid argument that a crossbows aren’t real bows, and neither is you pulley bows buy your argument!

• Sir you are the most levelheaded and humane Hunter on this sight and I cant wait to get my hands on one to rid Central Fla of Hogs !!! UM !

• Paul Blackburn says:

No buddy we are not. Get in your lane and drive safely in it. I’m a bow hunter and a archer. When it comes to bow hunting, I’m not a muzzle loader hunter or a rifle hunter. I am a bow hunter – plain and simple. Don’t get it twisted!

• Michael Schmiesing says:

I would really love to have this new version of a old design! The compound bow, it’s a new way of using a old design and making it easy to use! Any troll will say no, can’t use, not a real bow! But think about it! You must go back to a recurve bow made of one piece of wood! Use only real parts of intestine to make a bow string! Now what do you purist say? That compound bows are the norm! But fuck off, you use the argument so you can have a carbon fiber, pulley, metals, and sights, arrow rest,wrist arrow release (it’s really a trigger)! Some how you look down on a person wanting to hunt big game. Its with a newer version of your choice of a modern bow, just got updated!

Purist are not really purist at all! You use a newer version of an old bow! But you have the balls to look down on others, who need a updated version!

I’m a very handicapped Army Vet. I’ve not been hunting in six, seven years because a crossbow is very hard for me to use. I believe if I had this new AirBow I’d be back in the deer woods like I used to be, Sept to Dec in MN.

I hate those trolls who look down their nose at anyone who is not just like them! We as hunters could support each other! But you haters need to back up your fat ass, get off your high horse, join the hunters who hunt! Not those just like you but all types of hunters! Because if hunting is outlawed then only outlaws will hunt! If you continue to tear down hunting you give the nature loving freaks ammo to get hunting outlawed! I know that I’ll not change the trolls! But I can help others make up their own mind. Besides I don’t have a grand to buy the new airbow, in a few years I’ll get mine! That my life line so I’ll be able to hunt after the debate is over! And my body can use this new technology in a year or two.

• Bob Kinneer says:

Agree with you, Well said …. I thank you for your service, and wish you a successful hunting season .

• Michael Schmiesing says:

Thank you Bob Kinneer! I’ll try to get out this year! But my 100% disabilities keep me out of the woods more than I want! I’ll tell you I can’t wait till I can use a new version of the cross bow/bow.

• Paul Blackburn says:

Yes, newer material. None-the-less, at the end of the day , the compound bow is still held and drawn by hand and aimed. It is not shot with the aid of a gas filled silent explosion. Until Pope and Young recognize it as a bow, it will stay an air rifle to me.

• Paul Blackburn says:

It’s not a bow. Some people can’t see the forest for the trees. You seem to be one of those people. You are in the east looking for a sunset. It’s just not there.

2. Dumb.

• Bob Kinneer says:

You must be the DUMB , you can’t even say more. What’s your reason ?

• Joe Momma says:

Yeah he must be “the dumb”

3. Chad Brueggeman says:

No way should these ever be considered leagal for bow hunting. I’m so tired of everyone taking the easy road. Bow hunting is about hard work and practice and being dedicated to the sport. These, much like crossbows, are just short yardage rifles. If you can’t take the time to be proficient with a bow than stay out of the woods until rifle season

• Totally agree 1000 %

• Darren Haverstick says:

Amen, brother!

• Michael Schmiesing says:

• Michael Schmiesing says:

OK all you purest! Go back to the stick and gut string! The Real Americans did for centuries. But you are all to good for that! Right! You need carbon fiber, pulley, sight’s, arrow releases, modern materials! You are a bunch of ASS HOLES! Your better than me because I a 100% disabled wants and needs every advantage I can get. You say a bunch of trash so you can bet your chest and think your better than others! If you say one more thing about how it’s not—–and those how want it are less than you! Fuck off you bunch of assholes your healthy now. But in years to come you will need a new edge! Then what, no more hunting, you will use the Airbow then!

• Paul Blackburn says:

Yes buddy; No more hunting. Call it what it is. – a damn air rifle. Use it as a gun but a bow hell no!

• Or some of us prefer to use all of the resources available to us to make clean, ethical kills for our harvest. Say what you want, but it’s statistically proven that crossbows have allowed for greater kill and recovery rates than traditional bows.
      Do I think this air bow is really a bow? No. I think it falls into air gun classification. But should we stick our noise in the air about technology advancements for harvesting game? Absolutely not.

• Or you just suck at shooting a bow. Hey, maybe we should trade in fishing poles for dynamite sticks cause that would be easier too!

• Michael Schmiesing says:

Thanks for your option mind!

• Michael,

There are 2 things that we need to consider… #1 – What defines a “bow” as such? #2 – Should deciding if it’s legal to use for controlled hunting is up to us as individuals or should we follow the current practice where our local governments make this decision?

To talk about #1 – To me, it’s simply NOT a bow. To me, at the very simplest, a bow is a tool that stores potential energy based on the “bowing” of a material via a “string” which may or may not require being reset between uses. If it’s being used to shoot an arrow, then great, now it’s a bow and arrow set.
          I understand you were in the Army, please follow along even though you already know this…
          Just because I put an arrow inside my shotgun barrel and propel the arrow via a quick expansion of gas, doesn’t mean I have converted my shotgun into a bow.
          Let’s look at this plainly… there is a chemical and physical reaction that occurs inside a casing of ammunition. This reaction rapidly converts a small volume of powder into a large volume of gasses. That rapid conversion/expansion is what drives the projectile(s).

To take this a bit further, even Crosman consider this to be an air gun and not a kind of “bow”. Please see their documentation.

#2 – Who decides, us the individuals or the local governments? That’s up to you to decide for yourself, however penalties can be large for violating existing laws/rules/regulations versus going through the process of getting them changed. If you want this to be considered a bow and allowed to be used during bow seasons, then I am in favor of you going through the legal methods to voice your opinion and to persuade the relevant parties into agreeing with you.

To make it clear, yes, I think the Airbow should be legal to hunt with. I would take it over a scoped long-range rifle in regards to expected safety, skill required and noise produced alone. I do NOT think it should be allowed during BOW season.

Bonus: This could be redesigned so that the air supply is used to provide the energy to pull back on a bow string. I still don’t think many States/locals would allow it to be used during bow season though as I think there is still a long standing tradition and possibly even written laws that bows used in bow hunting seasons must be human-powered.

• Paul Blackburn says:

Some people like you don’t care about rules; just let me do it. When you are playing tennis and are serving the tennis ball. you can’t step on or over the line before you serve because that would give you an advantage over your opponent. Specially if he is staying behind the line as the rules state, but you are walking in 3 foot and serving closer. That is why we must have rules. We can’t let you ass holes walk all over the true sport of archery and bow hunting because you all care nothing about the integrity of the sport and game. The line must be drawn some where, and this is where it is drawn.

• Paul Blackburn says:

That is why Pope and Young don’t recognize it as a bow. That is why none of the big game killed with it (the crossbow ) is considered, and accepted under the rules of Pope and Young. Apparently, everyone doesn’t get happiness out of fishing with dynamite, or 12 lines, attached to a single bass fishing line.

• Um, let the individual hunter decide what weapon they choose to hunt with. The air bow issue is just more proof that the government is sticking it’s nose where it doesn’t belong..

• I could have used one of these a couple years ago when I broke my shoulder and hand.If it humainly distpatches an animal with an arrow I am all for it.Game always tastes better shot with an arrow than a gun.Technology is awesome.

• Paul Blackburn says:

• Bob Kinneer says:

Why the need to call names. Go play your tennis…. No one said you need to use the airbow .. Go use what ever you like. I bet your bow and or arrows are not of the same as the Native Americans. You probably don’t use a long bow..Calling it the way it is. Enjoy hunting and stop worrying about everyone else…

• Paul Blackburn says:

• I disagree, and only hunt with a vertical bow. A crossbow allows many people to get in the woods and enjoy our natural resources that wouldn’t otherwise be able to. Children, Women, Parents, and the Disabled are now able to enjoy the archery season during the nice weather because they can become proficient shooting regularly for a month. I have been a finger archer for the past 36 years, I felt like I was cheating when I started using a release…it was so much easier than shooting fingers and my accurate range extended from 50 to 80+ yards. So to each their own, as little no as it is legal we need to support our fellow hunters.

• Hi Chad,
      I have to disagree with you on this issue. I was an excellent competitive archer with a recurve and a compound bow. A devastating shoulder injury forced me into using a crossbow. Even after 4 years, I am still not as proficient as I was before. I have tried out the Airbow and I was much more comfortable with it right out of the box than I am with a crossbow. You still have to use all the same scent control, watch wind direction, etc. that you do with “traditional” bows. I think it should be allowed during archery season possibly for disabled hunters or those who cannot manage the weight of a crossbow or the draw strength of a compound. I would like nothing better than to be able to once again use a compound bow but I cannot. Being in Illinois, I don’t see it ever becoming legal here with the draconian laws we have.

• “Crossbows are short ranged” …. what?! I guess if your shooting a “traditional” bow (no such item being used by 99% of bow hunters- your high tech 65% let off compound is NOT traditional) you are somehow more privileged or skilled? Get over yourself. Hunting is hunting period, be it a bow, rifle, shotgun or whatever. Really tiresome listening to you elitists. Will I use an air gun? Nope. Do I care if someone does? Nope.

• It’s more like 90% let on my PSE Carbon Air!!!! Lol 😛

• Michael Schmiesing says:

I agree with you! Shut up over choices! I’m a very disabled Army Vet! I’d love to be able to afford an Airbow! A crossbow is very hard for me to use!

4. Full sized stock, magnification scope mounted on a picitiny rail, ar style grip, and a trigger….all characteristics of a GUN. Only archery part of this gun is the arrow but anyone who wants to lie to themselves and say that this thing is archery equipment is just a big of a joke as the airbow (gun) is itself

5. This is not archery. It should never be allowed on an archery hunt. I used to be a Shockey fan until I saw his bison hunt with the “airbow. What a sellout. Proof that money really can buy some people’s dignity. Please outlaw.

6. No way they should ever be used during Archery season.

7. Only recurve bows should be allowed in archery. Any bow with them fancy modern “cam” things is just cheating. REAL archery hunters will learn to pull a 60 pound bow and hold it. Letoffs and the whole compound concepts is a fad and will probably go away after a few years. Also, bows made of any material that is not wood are sellouts.

Just making a sarcastic point here folks. Progression of technology has some serious thorns associated with it.

• Gary Barton says:

You must be in perfect health! But don’t worry time will take its toll on you. I have not been able to use recurve bow for many years due to extreme shoulder pain. I had a choice to make at age 65 never hunt again or use a crossbow. I chose to use a crossbow for turkey and deer hunting. I have rifles and shotguns but don’t use them because it’s more of a challenge. My next birthday I will be eighty years old. I expect continue as long as I can walk. Almost every state in the USA has made it legal to hunt with a crossbow. So why is it so hard for you to have a little compassion on people like me who have lost the ability to pull and shoot a recurve bow?

8. WHY did those morons shoot a buffalo ? Couldn’t find a deer ,Elk ,or moose?

9. Mark Green says:

If they want to make this legal for use during a firearms season I don’t have a problem but don’t even try to pretend that it has anything to do archery hunting!!!

10. Fred C. Heller says:

this is not bowhunting at all, just a short range rifle. get rid of it and put it with the firearms : it fires hot gas ->firearm not bow, not crossbow.

SIckeningly easy to hunt too it seems, and the guy seems to enjoy it !

11. bill dapper says:

i would have agreed with you all but I am disabled and this is the only way that I would be able to go out during bow season… so I do believe that there are exceptions to certain things.. if your able to use a bow then it should be illegal but if you can’t use a bow , then you shouldn’t have to sit out if there is a way for you to get out into the wilderness..

• Fred C. Heller says:

DIsabled is a totaly other story, I understand your plight. and yes there can be exceptions, but otherwise it still is a gun to me.

12. Spencer Williams says:

Everyone is freaking out about this however I believe that the missing portion of this is that people with disabilities could miss the whole archery season because even a crossbow may not be feasible for them.

• ScottinVA says:

If someone is so disabled that he cannot use a crossbow with an electric recocker, then that person is too disabled to hunt during archery season.
      You need to use logic rather than emotion when arguing a drastic change to any paradigm, including this one.
      This weapon is a gas-propulsion system, just like other air rifles (and all rifles). That it projects a 20″ “bullet” is irrelevant.
      Use it during gun (or muzzle-loader) season, and enjoy.

13. John Uramkin says:

What’s the difference between that and a crossbow? Personally I would like to see the DNR do away with all seasons. Technological advances in archery and muzzle loaders have taken away the sprit of the individual seasons. At least that’s the case here in Michigan where crossbows and inline scoped muzzle loaders are legal in their respective seasons.

I would like our DNR to issue so many tags per area and set it up so you can’t buy another until the first is filled. Make it the choice of the hunter to decide what weapon to use. It’s either that or go back to long bows and cap and ball guns.

14. I have no problem with the Airbow in firearms season. I do not feel it should be considered for archery season. I am not a fan of Shockey….he goes to the $$$$$.

15. You guys are missing the point of hunting which is to be able to safely harvest an animal for food, period. Now, if someone can do that effectively, quietly, and with more accuracy, then I say why not. Let folks take advantage of new technologies instead of being close minded to new techniques.

• ScottinVA says:

Then do away with seasons altogether and allow hunting year-round.
      There is a reason bowhunters are given time before the rifle season.
      I wouldn’t mind relegating crossbows to rifle season, or perhaps half the bow season.
      But to allow a gas-propelled projectile to be called an “air bow” is ludicrous.

16. Richard Stanton says:

Better check your facts Missouri Dept. Conservation has not legalized this weapon. It absolutely doesnt belong in an archery season. Nothing about this thing is a bow. Shockey is a tool for even hyping this thing.

17. Maybe you shouldn’t show videos of a guy ‘hunting” on a preserve. The only thing that could have been lamer than this is if the buffalo was chained to a stake.

18. Bob kinneer says:

It is an arrow being shot! It is a great for disabled people. I do not see any reason why not. I have crossbows any the air bow. They shoot about the same . The crossbow is heavy any harder to handle. You still got to be the right place at the right time. People doing baiting is less sportsmanship then using the air bow.

• ScottinVA says:

It’s not a bow of any kind. It is a gun that uses gas propulsion (just like a rifle does) to propel a projectile that happens to be longer than your standard air rifle pellet.
      If you want to hunt with it, fine (I would like one), but hunt during the season that fits the tool: gun season (perhaps muzzle-loader season).

19. As a disabled veteran who cannot pull a bow back, I think this gives disabled vets and other disabled folks a chance to hunt the archery season. Everyone who is sticking their nose in the air should walk a mile in my shoes before you become so judgmental. Technology works wonders for those of us who can’t otherwise enjoy archery season. And please don’t forget, it’s vets, disabled or otherwise, who are the reason you are free to hunt in the first place. Please don’t deny us the enjoyment.

• Then maybe it is OK for people with legitimate disabilities. Not for those who do not have a disability. It is not a “bow”. It is a gun that shoots an arrow. Period.
      They have already dumbed down black powder/primitive weapon season to where people can shoot the equivalent of a modern rifle which does away with the concept of “primitive weapon”.

20. David N Wallis says:

these should only be used if you have a disability, I have contacted my state they are illegal here, and so were crossbows but not now

21. Larry W. says:

No way should this be allowed during archery season, there is nothing close to bow hunting here. Shockey’s a sell out in it for money only. Ban him from hunting also.

22. Jeff Wicke says:

One of the reasons I started bow hunting for me was that less people bow hunted so on public land seemed safer to me and upped my odds of getting a harvest. I think this should fall into gun category. It takes no time to learn if your already familiar with scope and trigger. I felt the same way with my crossbow I got before I got my bow it still felt like shooting a gun.

23. Tom Martwinski says:

As defined by webster: the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow. My response is no to the air gun. Let keep the bow in archery season.

24. Buckdragger says:

Not a bow.
    BOW:
    a flexible strip of wood or other material, bent by a string stretched between its ends, for shooting arrows
    As per Websters dictionary….
    This should never be put into the archery category. How would you feel if you practiced all summer with your bow and shot a nice pope and young, then your neighbor does the same and his name is right next to yours in the record book except his says WEAPON: AIR “BOW” That is where this is headed. Screw that! This should have a place in recreational shooting only and possibly small game and varmint hunting. It is a cool piece no doubt I would love to shoot one and it would be fun for young shooters. But it should never be used in big game archery harvests. Gun ONLY.

• ScottinVA says:

“But, but but… it has the word “BOW” in the name! Doesn’t that make it a bow?”
      Duh. Of course you are correct.
      However, I would allow it during muzzle-loader season — but not ARCHery season.

25. Prandle62 says:

Life is about advancement not being closed minded to innovation. I shoot a compound bow and i love it. Check when it came into existence. Use to be recurve and long bows or what ever primitive method that was used to hunt. Things have changed. Life has changed. You have changed. Things have changed. Innovations have brought us to the air bow. Call it a gun or what you will. It still shoots an arrow but more effective with much more speed. In life you have the choice to remain doing what you do or to change

• ScottinVA says:

It’s not a bow of any kind.
      I uses gas to propel a projectile, just like a rifle does.
      No one is saying it should not be allowed, just not during bow season (perhaps in muzzle-loader season).

26. John Walker says:

I’m all for it during gun season, but this is not an archery weapon. I have a .25 PCP airgun and it is fun to shoot, and that is exactly what it the “airbow” is–an airgun.

27. We are in the age of the pot calling the kettle a spoon and the kettle is now actually considering that it could be true. This is Bullshit.

28. Armando Sanchez says:

I say no! In my mind your either a bow hunter or a rifle hunter. I’m not a big fan of crossbow hunting either. This is just my personal opinion!

29. Derek Craig says:

Simply put … NO.

30. If you use a “cam” on your bow to help you out because you are a “weak” wimpy hunter you should be ashamed. “REAL” archery hunters pull their 60 or 70 pound wooded longbow and can hold their bow while they stalk their pray! All you compound crybabies…..

And don’t get me started on the “cheaters” that use tree stands….how is that for natural and fair chase?

ALL of you “elite” archers that hunt food plots…you have no shame!

Don’t get me started on the bow hunters that use feeders.

The point of all this is that this is just another change in the sport……don’t like it…don’t use it. Don’t be so close minded that you can not see others using new technology or a way to maximize chance of success.

• Bob Kinneer says:

Agreed 1000%

• Disagree 10000%. If it does not have a string, it is NOT a BOW. I am close minded about others using a rifle in “bow” season. One more time, No string = not a “bow”. What do you want next a bow rifle with heat seeking arrows?

31. Alex butler says:

This thing is as retarded as those stupid razor scooters. Should be considered a rifle. Never should be mentioned when talking archery.

32. This is not a bow, if it has a safety and a a scope it should not be allowed during bow season, other then by special permit by someone with disabilities, I feel the same about cross bows.

33. Prandle62 says:

Well i guess all of the nay sayers or riding horses to their favorite hunting place instead of driving your trucks or whatever. We all take advantage of new technology. Get ready for change or get left behind. I love wild meat by any means legal. Stop the judging and do whats best for you.

• Yes, many people do. But when I go to my farm to hunt and drive my truck I don’t call my truck a horse . It is a truck and not a horse and will always be a truck and never a horse.

Change is often times good. But not always. The new rifle that shoots arrows looks like a fun toy. But it is not and never will be a “bow”.

34. David Lenz says:

IMHO this is an airgun. If I am going to shoot an arrow and have to track the animal I shot I will use my bow. If the airgun is legal to hunt the animal, I don’t know why you would use an arrow instead of a pellet.
    I don’t think it should be legal for archery season just because it shoots an arrow, it’s the bow that makes it archery

35. I would like to call my Rem. 700 a bow and those things that come out the barrel “miniature arrows” and use it next archery season. Thank you.

36. It’s an airgun/spear gun throwing a 400+ grain projectile no different than any other firearm powered by compressed gas. Bows and even crossbows are human powered. I recall once when Hornady posted an ad in an archery forum, “Powered by Hornady.” I told them, “My bow is powered by me, not by Hornady.” They pulled the ad.

Anyway, no airguns/spear guns during archery season.

37. Whitetaildeception says:

Hunting is hunting no matter what legal method of taking game. Hunting is also a dying sport. Modern compounds have helped bring many younger people to our sport. The number of women is also on the rise. Compound shooters also are gravitating towards other “old ways ” of the stick bows. Isn’t that a good thing for all of the compound haters? Crossbows are currently in transition to another legal method of taking game. So if it takes a crossbow or even an airbow to bring a new or an old Hunter back to the sport, as far as I’m concerned bring it on. Quit crying about how it’s cheating or it’s too easy. The wedge that the anti hunters are driving between us is killing the sport of hunting. Be happy that someone wants to join the sport and maybe, just maybe we stand a chance. We need all the help we can get!

• ScottinVA says:

I’m all for using air rifles like this one to bring new hunters to the sport — DURING RIFLE SEASON.

38. No, there’s no ‘bow’ in it and little ‘arch’. But I am really not thrilled about crossbow inclusion either even though I have a disability, am over 60 and use one. Let’s put some clear and meaningful restrictions on the definition of ‘archery’ hunting. Talk of 500 fps crossbows now…
    If it is allowed will it be legal to launch an arrow out of a shotgun propelled by a blank or from a .22 using a special barrel that the arrow slides over and a blank?
    Interesting implement that may have an application but like using a motor in a bicycle race, not within the spirit of the sport. Maybe have an ‘open implement’ season so folks who want can use anything but leave some semi-traditional weapons have their own season.
    Guess I am just an old far who would even love to see muzzleloader season only include non scoped, sidelocked weapons.

• ScottinVA says:

Well said.

• jesse gordon boyd says:

Must we argue about such meaningless vapor? How about calling murder like it is, or homosexuality, or even pornography and masturbation. So many have completely lost sight of eternity!

We allow abortion without punishment but not poaching? This new weapon really matters so much to us?

Perverted sexuality such as we see in our times is not a crime? (as long as a certain age condition is met)
        Is sex with rubber ducks, whips, chains, anal balls, diapers, (just name it and its a reality now) really okay?
        Hunting only exists due to the disobedience and pride in the garden, now we must eat death to be healthy. Let’s not lose sight of the far more important yet invisible reality. Please redirect all this energy at something worthy.

39. Gary Hosier says:

Do I consider it a bow? No. Being 50 now and having a friend that went to crossbow because of shoulder issues I’ll say that If I ever Can’t draw my bow I will use a crossbow or even air bow to continue to hunt during archery season. I doubt seriously it would increase overall harvest driving down populations. Indiana just added select high power rifles and harvest didn’t flux much. Don’t ask if I think it’s safe. That’s another discussion.

40. Bob Kinneer says:

Times and Technology has changed !! Until you have shot one, do not knock it. Everyone has there opinions. It is still an arrow driving in an blade . It’s only air driving the arrow, not hot gas, not any gas at all. It take like 250 to 300 pumps with the hand pump to fill the air chamber. Use what ever you like and enjoy the hunt, I ulwould rather use something that makes a good clean kill. If you not using an hand make bow and arrow with a flint blade, you have nothing to cry about.

• graham limbrick says:

IF you actually looked you would have seen he filled the air chamber from a dive bottle, not from pumping 200/300 strokes.Its a spear
      gun plain and simple.Its got a gun stock and telescopic sight.Could you show me the bow in this device,.

• Bob Kinneer says:

Again I have one, I have the pump, I shot it . It is very much like an crossbow , just easier to cock. The scuba tank is easier then the pump. It still is just compressed air 3000 psi. at max. I am disabled it will be a way for me to still be able to hunt… It is new Technology , the same as cams , carbon shafts, Broadheads , fiberglass bows, etc. I don’t think anyone is throwing spear’s . Bottom line go hunt, have fun, take an youth with you, make a clean kill, respect the Environment . Have an great day, God bless…

• Whitetaildeception says:

Exactly my point. Get out there and Hunt!

41. ScottinVA says:

Bob Kinneer wrote:
    ——————————————————————-
    I’m sure it’s great fun to shoot, but that doesn’t make it a bow.
    The whole point of a bow is mechanical propulsion.
    This is a gun that shoots arrows.

BTW: air is a gas, so, yes, it is a GUN.
    So, use it to your heart’s content — IN GUN SEASON.

42. ScottinVA says:

Gary Hosier wrote:
    —————————————————————————————————
    If it’s not a bow, then it is unsuitable for archery season. Using a crossbow is sufficient advantage over a bow already; to classify a gas-propelled gun as a “bow” simply because it shoots arrows is ridiculous. I would agree to allowing this during muzzle-loader season, but not bow season.
    The point is not about reducing deer populations, or else we wouldn’t have designated seasons. It’s about giving those who choose low-tech hunting options a chance to get out there before the high-tech hunters arrive.

43. John Botts says:

Most of us bowhunters agree its a gun that uses gas to shoot an arrow (a gun that shoots a projectile designed like an arrow with a broadhead on the end). It should be only used during muzzle loader and or gun season. The main reason I say this is the way technology advances so fast. The next thing you know they will be finding ways to increase its power and range. Once you allow it into archery season you will not be able to get it out of that hunting class.

44. richard woodland says:

I think its a lot better then the crossbow.love to have one.another toy.

45. Barry miller says:

This is a hybrid. Let’s assume it was legal for use during archery season. If you did not like it you would not be obligated to use it. You could still use your preference, be it compound, longbow, crossbow, etc. I sometimes use my compound during firearms season- just because I want to. So as long as it does not prevent you from using what you want why should you criticize anyone who did want to use it. We should focus on sticking together as humters- ALL kinds of hunters, and support new ideas.

As for the technology, you have to be impressed.

• Buckdragger says:

I agree. I want to use a flame thrower to hunt deer in my area. I think it is fair, kills the animal efficiently ,and then I can just eat him where he lays. I know its a little bit of a stretch but I think we should be inclusive, non confrontational and accept everyone and there preferred methods to avoid any hurt feelings. Hurt feelings are far more important than any past time or generational tradition mumbo jumbo.

46. I can see that so many are still opposed to change. In this case Innovation. How did we get the light bulb, electricity and even the compound bow, the crossbow and now the airbow. I’ve been hunting all my life and have seen many changes, all of which were opposed at some point but today wildly accepted. This is no different. I have hunted with every legal means but today because of injuries and age I gladly accept the Airbow. I accept any means that will enable a cleaner and faster harvesting of the animal we hunt. Archery and crossbows are still showing in studies that a non recovered animal rates are still 18-35%, depending on terrain. How many hunters no matter how hard they try can’t use a re curve or compound bow, then went to the crossbow for hunting, which by the way was opposed for archery season. Studies show most archers drop out and into crossbows around 40 years of age I predict with the Airbow we will see some that could not hunt with even a crossbow will come back into the field and I say, I welcome it in achery only season. In many places not enough deer are harvested anyway. No matter how we want to slice it or what opinion we have on it, I think the main gripe here is being out classed in the field and certain one’s having an unfair advantage of a harvest over others during a certain season. Yet most want to push a 450fps Airbow into rifle season and do just that, even when crossbows shoot 400 plus feet per second so re-curve and compound bows are already at that same disadvantage. The Airbow is just one more tool to use and innovation brought us to this point. The choice should be left to the hunter and their personnel situation, not on laws and someone having an advantage in the field over others. Each means we hunt with today has advantages and disadvantages, some of which are skill alone with any means! I appreciate the different dates like the rest of you surely do for all the hunting options but remember, the means you are hunting with today were opposed fervently years ago. The Airbow is not going to take away from your hunting just like the compound bow and crossbow didn’t., and yet were opposed by standard re-curve archers. We need to accept innovation and keep moving forward and just be happy that we have each other enjoying the great outdoors and the bounty we can bring home! Hunters are a dying breed across the board.Good hunting one and all!

• I’m a 100% disabled vet, and I think we are moving in the wrong direction. I feel the big companies are using hunting as a marketing tool to increase their profit margin. They say that it is good for the sport so they can justify the high price for the next big thing. They get a high profile hunter, at what price, to smooth things over,and make it easier to sell. I don’t understand how a shoulder mounted,gas propelled, weapon can and should be called a bow. We also have to stop and take a look at our sport, trail cams,gps on our cell phones, satellite directly to our couches, etc. etc.. When are we going to get back to doing a little hard work to EARN a deer. We gotten so far away from anything that takes work, that the younger hunters who coming into our sport, take for granted. I realize each and everyone has the right to chose what ever they want to hunt with and for. Let’s just stop and think for a moment.

• Bruce,
        I like everything you said except “I realize each and everyone has the right to chose whatever they want to hunt with”. No we don’t have that right. Until recently we did not have the right to hunt with a cross bow. There was a reason for that until money and politics got in the game. I can’t get licensed to own and shoot a fully automatic .50 cal. machine gun and go hunting with that, I can’t chose to go deer hunting with a baseball bat, and I should not be able to go archery hunting with an air gun just because it propels an arrow. That being said, I have no problem if someone would chose to use it during regular firearms season because it really is a gun in the general functionality of the weapon.
        Ross

47. Paul Blackburn says:

There he is MR. Jim Shockey. The guy that wants to be first, so rather than hunting game with regular weapons for game in season. He starts out the easy way, with a muzzle loader so he can be called first in the record books, to kill a big, moose or deer, with a weapon that no one else is using. Here he is lined up first for the gas air cylinder gun that shoots an arrow as a projectile, instead of bullets. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig. This air gun that shoots an arrow is still an air riffle. Six in one hand an a half a dozen in the other is still six! This damn thing you calling an air bow, is not a bow in any sense of the word. It’s a dam gun, and should be used in gun season. The game and fish has loused up the beginning of bow season by bringing muzzle loaders season closer to the beginning of bow season. Destroying the archer’s chance to take a buck that is not harassed by allowing the muzzle loaders / gun hunters to hunt early. Just as the archer has his animal located , and his chance to take him is at hand, the muzzle loaders go off. Then the rifles go off from the youth hunters. Now, that buck that was moving in the daylight, has now become nocturnal. Not only that the game and fish has opened up the youth season in bow hunting only areas. By calling this gas cylinder, riffle that shoots an arrow as a projectile, a bow is total dis-respect for archery, and the men that worked so hard for us to enjoy the stick and string, and the compound bow. I vote no on this ever being called a bow!

• Bob Kinneer says:

You can’t even spell rifle correct….

• Glenn Whitcomb says:

Wow, someone is a bit worked up?
        I bet if this is legalized you won’t see anything but Airbows and Deer will become extinct!
        I have never seen people get so worked up over an animal. Who cares what folks choose to hunt with or what season they classify this weapon in? As long as they are participating in the sport it’s all good to me.

48. Denny Le Fevre says:

I love hunting with a bow, no noisy shots to disturb other hunters. In Florida, crossbows are only for the disabled and elderly. Now, I lost the use of my right arm. I cannot find a crossbow that cocks using just my left hand. If I can find an air bow that I can afford, I may be able to hunt in the quiet again! I will still be forced to hunt from a ground blind, because I can’t climb a tree stand with one arm. You whiners have the advantage of being in the stand, but I am not crying about your vision enhancing tree stands. I hope to just to be able to hunt without guns disturbing the deer. I am not crying over life’s not fair- man up. Quit whining, take a Midol, and rub it till you feel better.

• Bob Kinneer says:

Well said,,, thank you .

• It is NOT a bow. It is an “arrow rifle”. Taking the clearly correct position that this arrow rifle in not a “bow” is pure logic and science. No string, no bow. It is not whining. You can hunt deer without disturbing the deer. Get a silencer for your rifle and/or hunt with the arrow rifle during gun season. Sorry about your arm.

• Denny Le Fevre says:

Ed, I hunted with an AAC suppressor on my Ruger Scout. When I shot, I only ruined the hunt for those within a mile of my rifle. The non-suppressed hunters ruin the day’s hunt for anyone within a many miles of them. You are right, it is and air rifle. In Florida, we have archery season for two weeks. Crossbows, compound bows, and traditional bows all share the same small two week period. To be a purist, as soon many on this blog seam to be, we could just give each tool hunter three days a year to hunt. Most of us would then go meatless for the season. The hunters here are not sitting side by side hunting during archery, and I would not be taking someone else’s deer using an air rifle from a ground blind. “If your actions neither pick my pocket nor break my bones, it is of no business of mine.” Thomas Jefferson.

• abalone38 says:

Right on brother!!!! You say it!! This is one thing other people never keep in mind….the fact that there is a demographic of disabled hunters, who need assistive devices to hunt with. I’m all for the airbow for disabled hunters, the elderly, etc. Stand your ground, and call your legislators on legalizing this.

• Well, why not just let the disabled take their favorite deer rifle out during bow season then? This weapon is just another form of a rifle.

49. abalone38 says:

Yes, this airbow should be legal for hunting, especially for elderly hunters and those physically challenged. I work with this demographic of people, and they would love to be able to be in the great outdoors enjoying the same activities that bow hunters do. It is time that our society accepts this into our society. If other hunters are concerned about their safety, with people using an airbow, then they should be more concerned with hunters using shotguns or rifles……in other words, stay out of the woods if one is that concerned about their safety. One can wear all the orange they want, and still have an incident while hunting, with anything that emits a projectile.

• Well, I do stay out of the woods during firearms season after I had someones errant slug come whistling by me many years ago. That is why I BOW hunt with a BOW during BOW season. I’ve never had an errant arrow come whistling by my head when I’m out BOW hunting. If we fill the woods with drunken hunters carrying these air GUNS and blasting these bolts around at 500 fps, I might get to experience an errant bolt whistling by my head.

• Bob Kinneer says:

So your stupid vision is an air bow = drinking ? Stay home and watch tv , you idiots that never shot or know anything about the air bow. It is the same as an crossbow just a little faster, and a little louder, which makes no difference. Unless your using the same type of bow that the Indians did stop crying about it. It is Technology . I have shot a deer and in seconds later deer came out in front of me from a different area. So the noise is not a problem. Bad hunters got every excuse. It s windy, in was to hot, it’s to wet, the moon is wrong. Get off your butt and learn how to hunt, your stay home and shut up. It’s about being in nature and when the right one comes making a clean humane kill. I have took a lot of youngsters to teach them as my father did for me. Be a sportsman.

50. So if I was to put my archery gloves on then I should be able to use my 30-30 rifle to hunt during archery season right.

51. James A Walls says:

Indiana’s bow season begins at the beginning of October and ends the first weekend in January. I usually hunt and harvest deer with my bow during gun season and muzzleloader seasons. It’s for the challenge. I see just as many deer when shots are being fired all around me as I do during early bow season, so I don’t understand the argument that it’s harder to kill deer after the boom sticks come out. Is the airbow an bow and arrow? A stick and string? No. It’s an air rifle. Do I want to hunt with one? No. Is it going to ruin my hunting if my friend buys one and hunts two hundred yards from me? Nope. I hunt with a compound. A buddy of mine only shoots recurve, another only longbow will do. Yes, my best hunting buddy hunts with a crossbow due to health issues. We give each other good natured hell because the other doesn’t hunt with what we do. However, when we harvest a deer, be it a monster buck or a fat doe, we are happy for the other. I wonder…I bet the cavemen gave the first hunter that used a spear utter hell. The spear hunter gave the first stick and string hunter utter hell. My point I guess is, most of my best days in the stand didn’t involve dragging a deer outta the woods or even letting an arrow fly. The airbow shouldn’t qualify as a bow per say, but if a person wants to hunt with one, their license fees and money spent on supplies all goes to help better hunting everywhere. I will give them good natured hell for hunting with a sissy weapon then high five/hug them, congratulate them and help them drag their trophy to the truck. It’s not the weapon I love but the game of harvesting an animal with the weapon I choose.

• Sounds like you are right on point. If a young hunter kill thier first deer with who cares. It’s all about spending time with them hunting and hunting looking for them on the street

52. I think it’s a great invention. However it should only be used during rifle season and you those hunters with a documented disability where a regular bow or crossbow is not an option.

53. Doc Lopez says:

Let’s put a night vision scope on it, throw some corn out 20 yards off the side of the road, and do some road hunting
    Get the picture?
    Don’t legalize them period!

54. Wvredhiker says:

This “thing” has absolutely no place in the archery world. So, that being said, just because it fires an ” arrow” makes it a dry land spear gun. If someone has a disability, and cannot use a crossbow, longbow, or compound, there are plenty of options out there that still fall under the blanket of actual ” bow hunting.” This has one place in the field, in one season in my opinion, that being muzzleloader season. It’s sure loud enough. And it just looks corny. I wouldn’t be caught dead sitting in my trees and or blind with what looks like a star wars prop.

• Bob Kinneer says:

It is not that loud, my crossbow makes about the same level of noise. You obviously don’t know anything about being disabled. It’s a good looking AIR BOW. Maybe someone needs to watch Star Wars again…. New Technology , that’s it. It’s all about clean kill , having fun. Getting more people in the sport.

55. Riley Roberts says:

Yeah you should be able to hunt with it, I’m all for it… in a different season. I put countless hours into shooting in the blistering sun, sweating my butt off for my passion as an archer. That’s not archery.

56. It’s cool as heck, but I don’t think it falls under archery. Wasn’t a fan of crossbows being openly used either. I still feel that crossbows should be for the youth and handicapped. However, I think the airbow should be a legal means of harvesting ONLY for the handicapped during muzzle loader season. After all that’s pretty much how you load it.

57. AIR-row gun should be the name!

58. Bob Kinneer says:

That is a queer comment. This is just Technology !!!! If all you negative people that is crying about the fact of something new, maybe you can’t afford it, Unless your using a stick with sinew for a string , and using hand cut flint arrowheads. Your using Technology. A compound bow is also. Just use what you want and don’t worry about everyone else . I am disabled and hunting is a passion that was hand down to me by my father. It’s been 2 years of pain, injections, test, surgery. And still disabled, this is something I live for to hunt. A kill is great , but being out in nature , just relaxing, smelling fresh air, watching any game is what’s it is all about. Good luck true hunters.

59. Todd Browning says:

Absolutely not. I don’t think they should even be allowed during rifle season. The bow hunting world is getting ridiculous. First it was the crossbow. Ohhhhh the disabled hunters can participate in bow hunting so we should give them the opportunity. Ok I agree, but what happened? Now we have able bodied ppl shooting crossbows during archery season. I called that one a long time ago. A bow is a bow., be it traditional or compound, you must practice and be devoted to the sport. These things are nothing more than short yardage rifles.

• James A Walls says:

I would rather shoot a bow than a crossbow any day. My buddy is disabled and uses a crossbow, it is rediculous to cock, load and get a shot off…a muzzleloader would be faster.

• Bob Kinneer says:

If your so great, use a sling shot. I guarantee you have a modern Bow. Go make that bow and arrow as the natives did, then tell me about how skilled you are. Cam’s, aluminum shaft , Carbon shafts and your different sites are all modern technology just a few years back. There is bigger problems in the hunting sport then the use of an air bow . Anti hunters, deer diseases , gun
      Ammo restrictions in control . As hunter we need to work together. I have used every type of bow . I got 2 crossbows , and an airbow . I got because being Disabled, still not sure if I can go , with out help. Airbow shoots a little faster, a little louder. A lot easier use. Still need to be at right place at the right time. Just take a youngster hunting and stop crying about nothing. Be glad you have hunting rights. Thanks

60. Use during gun season? Fine. Use during archery season? No! Because this is not archery. Some argue that a cross bow is not archery. I happen to think a crossbow is archery and a cross bow has limitations similar to a typical vertically held bow, but this air gun is not archery.
    I could see it being allowed for hunters with a disability.

61. The arguing ahout an AirBow to launch arrows with compressed air is like arguing about manual vs. automatic transmissions. AirBow concept has it’s merits, just that most archers will prefer within one cycle to physically generate, store, and release (or draw down) kinetic energy, through fingers on the bowstring throughout that cycle. That AirBow is only providing an alternative. Archers tend to prefer the responsibility, power and satisfaction of kinetic bows that require combined physical and mental concentration, the mind and body extended through a bow and into an arrow. And we thrive on the knowing the burden of our mistakes, which is why we plan and re-plan, think and re-think, and still may releas 1-2 arrows a year at a live target. Unfortunately some people with disabilities will never be able to achieve that or have lost the ability to achieve that again; but they are not taking anything from you by overcoming their physical limitations with an AirBow that shoots arrows, even if they can shoot farther/straighter/faster than we can. So anyone who chooses to curse and name call one another over this AirBow needs to seriously seek wisdom and mature! Embrace technology, or leave it alone, be glad you have that choice to go either way. A few autumns ago while I was scouting near Waipiti Falls in Oregon, I met two fellas on a trail: one guy was hoofing while his partner was on a Segway, both had bows. My first thought was “WT-” is he doing on a Segway tearing up our painstakingly preserved trails? We converged to exchange info. on game sightings (and other hunter sightings), terrain, weather etc.. After exchanging information I asked casually about the Segway; was tricked with knobby tires, functional cases and a bow rack. Turns out, he was a veteran who had lost both legs; so heck yeah he was using a Segway, could have used a Rascal scooter if that was all he had! Archery is about discipline, challenge, rigor, perseverance, commitment, planning, successes and failures. Seek out, embrace and grow in these ways, respectfully and without causing harm to one another or your environment. Let the Crossbowers and AirBowers do their thing, they won’t be taking anything away from us die-hard archers who like to do things the hard way, and appreciate within yourselves that we do things the hard way because we are choose to and are able to, not because we have to.

• What you described “Archery is about discipline, challenge, rigor, perseverance, commitment, planning, successes and failures.” is about hunting, not archery. Archery is about a bow and an arrow and a proficiency to shoot the same it is not about a speargun that requires no proficiency beyond what is required to shoot a rifle. I am sorry if a disabled person is unable to develop the skills to shoot a bow because of their disability, but there are other ways to enjoy the sport of hunting that do not include a bow and arrow that provide the rest of the challenges of hunting. If someone wants to use this weapon, let it be used in firearms season since it is so much more a gun than anything else. Calling the act of shooting this “archery” is a perversion of the term and so reflective of the perversion our society is becoming.

62. This device has sufficient accuracy with a scope on it to hit a 12 inch diameter target at 300 yards and sufficient energy to put an arrow completely through an elk out to 420 yards, to allow its usage during archery season in Washington was the most shortsighted and irresponsible decision possible. Since it is legal for archery hunting it is also legal for muzzleloader season and can be reloaded and fired eight times in the time any other muzzleloader could be reloaded only one time.

63. I would welcome any assistance anyone would like to offer in getting this ruling overturned. FWIW, the material supplied to the Game Commission that they used to come to this decision was the most one sided, slanted and purposely dishonest that I have ever seen. Basically what it was was a marketing campaign for allowing the pneumatic arrow guns to be used by those with disabilities during our Archery Season, and by doing so we are now experiencing a “run on the bank” by opportunists who want to be considered disabled because it will allow them use of a weapon during archery season that will far outperform an open sighted single shot 30-30 firearm.

64. JESUS H! How do you unsubscribe from this damn thread?!

• Allen, I imagine the email notification has something about unsubscribing.

65. The big issue I have is that accommodation is met w/a hundred yard weapon and most any crossbow on the market today is just that when open sights are used and most all exceed that by at a minimum of 150% with a scope. What is more, as I have said, I would give up the entire hunting day between 15 minutes before sunup and fifteen minutes after sunup before I would give up the first fifteen minutes of legal hunting time and the last fifteen minutes of legal hunting time during modern season.

The allowance of scope sights, particularly illuminated scopes, gives an advantage that is overwhelming enough that it makes their usage an unfair advantage during primitive Seasons.

Now let us talk about the fact that the material relied on for the decision spoke of the fact that most crossbows are sold with a scope, and that it must be replaced with iron sights at the participant’s expense. So what, a “Western legal” ML is also very much uncommon among MLs, but if you want to participate in a special season, the effort and/or expense resides with the participant.

These scopes are ALL mounted to a Weaver base/Picatinny Rail and it can be changed out in well under a minute.

What is even more frustrating to me is that just this week I learned that individuals who have upper body issues and a disability clearance for crossbow and pneumatic arrow gun were riding around “cocked and locked” in the back of a Tacoma Toyota and an F350 down by Ilwaco intending to shoot from the back of those vehicles and they claimed that their disability clearance allowed them to do this even though they were in no way hampered in walking.

So when I am ridiculed and belittled for saying that WDFW has “kicked the door wide open,” how about someone at WDFW point out to me how that is an exaggeration?

We have able-sighted “archers” allowed to use illuminated scopes that allow them up to a 300% advantage in range and the best ~thirty minutes of the hunting day advantage and even though they have no disability that prevents them from walking they get to ride around on roads in the back of a truck looking for game within 300 yards of the roadway, fifteen minutes before or fifteen minutes later than others could get a good sight picture and then shoot using the cab of the truck to rest their weapon on.

Did I miss anything? I am surprised they are not allowed use of a helicopter service to spot animals and radio them the coordinates

These rulings simply make a mockery of the concept of legitimate accommodation.

66. Paul Blackburn says:

They just need to be caught by the Game and fish. They won’t be riding around in the back of any more truck miss-using the diss-able clause, that they are handy caped. They are clearly in violation. They just need the game and fish to explain it to them real good!

• That is where you are wrong, The “disability coordinator” pushed this through too. I looked it up and if you “qualify” you are now afforded the luxury of hunting during Washington’s Archery Season, before archers have been in the field for the month of September, when elk herds allow the luxury of driving to within a couple hundred yards of them and snapping photos (believe me I have many, but none that were taken in October or November or even after the second day of Archery Season) when you cannot get within a quarter mile of an elk herd without them exiting stage right, left or straight away.

So add to that our forests are cut up by roads, and the elk and deer tolerate traffic all summer, but once Archery Season has been going for a couple weeks – you do the math. And although the access roads close to hunters, they are open (and rightfully so IMHO) for those who cannot walk due to ambulatory disability. BUT if you “got the disability stamp, for a lack of being able to pull a compound or recurve or longbow, the door is kicked wide open. EVEN if you can walk, run, jump and get through the woods like an Olympic athlete. How ludicrous is that? What a mockery of “reasonable accommodation” does that ruling make of the concept of our “primitive weapon seasons?”

I am all for allowing “reasonable accommodation,” what I object to is allowing rank opportunists to enlist the assistance of the gal WDFW hired as a disability manager to so bastardize the very concept of reasonable accommodation, advocate on behalf of unreasonable advantage and get this crap pushed through.