Food Plot Confrontation Leads to Jail Time For Thief [VIDEO]

I was making my first sit of the year in a brand new food plot a couple weekends ago when I had an encounter I’ll not soon forget. I was kicked back in my ground blind on one of the most comfortable days of the season so far when a doe popped out to the left side of my blind and fed across in front of my hide. I was panning my camera and easing around in my chair to square up for the shot when the deer went on full alert. She was looking past my blind to something that was approaching the food plot. In an instant she turned and was gone. I honestly thought one of the big coyotes I’d caught on the Stealth Cam was cruising through so I snapped my release on the string and waited for the action to unfold. But it wasn’t a coyote that spooked this deer.

Just moments after the deer bounded away, a black blob began to emerge from the creek bank on the far side of the food plot. I thumbed the record button on my video camera not sure exactly what I was about to record. About the time I zoomed in, the black blob stood to his feet and began to walk into the food plot. A trespasser had snuck his way onto my property.

While you're always hoping for the best when you make a sit in the deer woods, be prepared for the worst. How would you handle this situation?

While you’re always hoping for the best when you make a sit in the deer woods, be prepared for the worst. How would you handle a similar situation?

I immediately knew this wasn’t just any trespasser. The afternoon was warm. It was t-shirt weather. Yet this dude had a black hoodie on with his hood up and pulled forward to conceal his face. A cig hung from his mouth as he nervously glanced from side to side making his way across the food plot. He seemed to be on a mission as he quickly walked across the food plot. I honestly didn’t really think he was interested in my Double Bull blind. But at just 15 feet from the blind, and totally oblivious to my presence, he took a step my way as if he wanted to snoop. When he made his final steps to my blind I shouted, “What are you doing, Son!?!?” It scared him so bad he nearly did a backflip.

“Oh, just walking around,” he said in response to my question. “I think I’m lost.”

The moment he began to speak I recognized his voice. His face was well hidden with his hoodie, but his squeaky voice was unmistakable. When I probed for his name he got squirrely and defensive. When I made sure he knew he was on camera, he was ready to leave in a hurry.

I followed him to the property line to make sure he knew I was serious, then quickly made my way back to the truck to follow up on the direction he was headed. My truck was parked at the new house my family is building on the other side of the property. There’s no doubt in my mind the house was exactly where this trespasser was headed. You see, the reason his voice was so unmistakable was that he had just been to the house the day before…to work with the plumber. After working with my plumber all week at the house, the thief had made a return trip over the weekend to snatch tools, equipment, and my 4-wheeler.

I called the plumber that night and sent him the video of the guy I was pretty sure was his part-time help. After hearing the audio from the video, he confirmed that it was in fact his guy.

I sent the same video and info to my buddy that also serves as the local sheriff. A quick dig on the guy showed that there were 3 warrants out against him. Theft of property seemed to be his game. Within 24 hours he was in jail for previous crimes he had committed.

I thank God for the timing of things on that day. Despite being robbed of a little peace of mind, I couldn’t help but grin when I thought about how a busted deer hunt led to one more criminal off the streets.

Watch the video of the encounter in the food plot here:

Brodie Swisher

Brodie Swisher

Editorial Manager at Bowhunting.com
Brodie Swisher is a world champion game caller, outdoor writer, seminar speaker and Editor for Bowhunting.com. Brodie and his family live in the Kentucky Lake area of west Tennessee.
Brodie Swisher

Latest posts by Brodie Swisher (see all)

Comments

1. Dan McCarthy says:

I can’t stand a thief. They are the reason why I don’t put out trail camera and stands anymore. I have actually had trespassers cut down trees to get the stand out of them. This is also the reason why I carry a firearm on me at all times in the woods, you never know what people will do in this day and age. Thank god nobody was hurt in this process.

• Brodie Swisher Brodie Swisher says:

So true, Dan. It’s sad that people have such little regard for the lives and property of others. Thanks for taking the time to follow our blog, Dan!
      God bless you man!
      bro

2. ” I don’t even hunt bro” says the guy with the real tree hoodie………

• Brodie Swisher Brodie Swisher says:

That’s exactly what I thought, the first time I played the video back, Mitch. That’s kinda funny. Thanks for checking in.

• He probably stole the sweatshirt too!! I thought the same thing. Not a hunter but you are wearing a big deer skull on your shirt!

3. Calvin Griffiths says:

Sad that happened and does happen to others. I have had several tree stands, tree steps, and trail cameras stolen over the years both private and public property. Glad he got caught. It really does pay to film your hunts. Way to go Brodie!

4. Matt Rudesill says:

Way to be firm and in control of the situation bro you never know what kinda intentions trespassers have keep that sidearm handy it’s never a bad idea to have you PPE
    Personnal protection equipment at all times

• Brodie Swisher Brodie Swisher says:

Thanks Rudesill! And thanks for reading. Lets catch up soon.

5. Dan Richardson says:

woah close call, so glad you caught him Brodie, yeah pretty obvious he was up to no good!

6. Wow, never actually seen someone out on my property, but sure have seen enough dead deer with bullet holes and makeshift treestands to know they’re there. In fact, got myself a new (not new, but new to me) climber yesterday.

7. Cliff Barnett says:

Good job! Put some fear in that boy! Hope he’s smart enough to not come back around. Well… definitely not smart enough. But, sure do hope he doesn’t cause you anymore headaches. I hate fools like that.

8. Man I just had the same experience. I was up in a 25′ lock on hunting what I felt would be a great day. To my left was a trail that led to another stand in the woods. Out popped a guy walking and he had what appeared to be a camera in his hand and he had a rifle and was in full camo. Not knowing who he was I yelled at him and he crouched. As I climbed down the guy too off running. Never caught them but he stole my camera. There were no trucks parked nearby. I felt so violated. Wished I had a video camera and I will be getting one.

9. – “Shut your mouth and walk on, son” – Love it!

10. Tim Gravely says:

This goes for fishermen too. I have had my trailer lights stolen at Susquahanna Park, Lapidum boat ramp. I’ve had my trailer license plate cut off at Wye Mills Boat Ramp. Hope I don’t find the culprit.

11. Jeremy Sweeten says:

This whole situation makes me cringe. It’s because of low life’s like this guy that makes it hard for guys like me who don’t have the property to hunt but have the love and passion, I don’t remember how many owners have denied me the privilege to hunt their farms because they were victims of these thugs. The farms and properties that I do have access to are treated as if they were my own and I will act as such if they ever come under attack. This owner did a great job of handling the situation, and I don’t think anyone would have blamed him if he beat this guys tail all the way to the jail house. Good job Brodie, now relax and tag out my brother. Jeremy S
    Valdosta, GA

12. Tim Peterson says:

Hey,tip of the hat to ya, I HATE THIEVES! couldn’t have ended any better,well maybe a ass kickin….

13. bobby curtis says:

i bet his ass puckered up when u said something to him lolol

14. tom jancewicz says:

I would have shot a bear raiding my food plot! Maybe buried it so it didn’t stink the place up.

15. jeff coyle says:

so funny.. waits till the idiot is almost gone then.. “Shut your mouth and walk on son”..
    He should have tackled the POS and held him till the cops got there.

16. Dave Porras says:

This is one of two reasons I carry a sidearm while bowhunting. #1 Bear and cougar defense. #2 Stupid people protection!!!!!

17. James Cleveland says:

What state was this in and county? The reason I ask is because the guy looks and sounds real to me!!!!

• James Cleveland says:

Familiar to me!!!

18. You are so right about timing. I own 50 acres and have seen trespassers and poachers in trail cams but never a live encounter. Good on you for catching one!

19. For someone that was “lost and just walking around”, he certainly knew the right way to bug off outta there…

20. i had this happen to me 2 years ago. While in my tree stand I had people drive on to my posted property with their utv. Drive into the woods 30 yards from my stand and try to take my memory card out of my trail camera.

• Tom Jennings says:

what did you do in that situation? did you confront them? Did they see you?

21. Steve Ridling says:

Looks to me like the little jerk should spend some time in the pokie! Good job!

22. Yes I have often wondered what would happen if I was sitting in the Brand new tree stand that was stolen from the property I had permission to hunt. I arrived at my tree just to find my strand, climbing ladder, 3 camera’s, safety harness all gone. YES they were all cable locked with python cable locks, three to be exact. All cut off. The only thing left was my bow hook and it is still there today. Just this week I seen a nice old buck just before dark and was thinking about putting out another stealth cam but my hunting partner said it might disappear as well. Now I have a good idea who the guy is but I have no proof. My hunting partner had gone to his set one afternoon and found a kid sitting in his stand. made for a shitty evening hunt because we pulled the stand that night and placed it on another property we hunt.

23. Kimmy Mac says:

“Shut your mouth and walk on son!”

24. Yes , Yes, Yes ! Love the way the property owner told him to shut his mouth and walk on , POS

25. Chris Kenopic says:

Such disrespect and glad you smartened him up and eventually he got caught and is facing consequences! Same thing happens up here in Canada too as someone took my sd card out of my camera so obviously I know it was some hunter who shows disrespect and gives us hunters a bad name.

Chris

26. I live next to the game lands, and we have a man that constantly hunts right in our front yard. Literally. He’ll trespass across our property to get to where he hunts at, and if I happen to go out through that roadbed to go hunting he’ll yell at me like I’m not supposed to be there. Last year, I had someone cut up a blind that I had set up about 50 yards outside of my front yard in a different direction from where he hunts at, but I’m willing to bet he’s the one that did it. (He doesn’t bow hunt and that’s all this blind was for. I won’t hunt in there in rifle season because he’s there.)

27. Walter says:

I wouldn’t have been able to resist the temptation of putting a broad head into a tree right beside him as he walked off.

28. Davey white says:

You have no business trying disgrace deer hunters because a “thief” who was a deer hunter stole from you. I’m not sure who is worse, the thief or a slanderous Farmer. You are calling deer hunters thieves, trying to put the stigma of your experience on hunters and label us thieves. Your not a god and your not the only landowner on the continent, I’m a law abiding deer hunter with land and I deal with issues of trespassing and poaching all the time, But I’m not going to make a video and call hunters poachers and trespassers, because it simply is not true. I don’t know why your stupid video is on this website, your full o S*&T and should keep your mouth shut unless you have something good to say.

29. Davey white says:

I sent a comment to the wrong post it was suppose to go in the “deer hunters are thieves” post comment

30. Jan botha says:

Here in south africa it is much worse I use my compoud bow to defend my property the criminals have guns the law ab citc must aply fore firearm licences and w up to 2 years fore aprovel regards jan