Maximum Shot Distance: How Far Will These Guys Shoot?

We checked in with some of the leading personalities in the hunting industry to get answers to the question, “How far will you shoot a deer with a bow?” When it comes to maximum shot distance, some of the answers may surprise you!

Here’s a look at what they had to say…

We want to hear from you! Comment below and let us know your maximum distance for shooting a whitetail deer with a bow.

Justin Zarr

Justin Zarr

General Manager at Bowhunting.com
Justin has been bowhunting for more than 25 years, harvesting a number of P&Y whitetails in his home state of Illinois during that time.  He co-hosts the popular bowhunting show 'Bowhunt or Die' and is a frequent guest on numerous hunting podcast.  Justin lives in the NW suburbs of Chicago with his wife and 3 children.
Justin Zarr

Latest posts by Justin Zarr (see all)

Comments

1. Garet Staley says:

Given the ability of a whitetail to duck a string, 30 yds is my max but I’ll always try to get that 20 yd every time. That way if buck fever gets me, and it does, I’ll have more room for error.

2. The questions is about ethics…Ethical hunters know with today’s equipment and technology 40 yards is the maximum ethical distance!!!

3. Paul Blackburn says:

I respect David Blanton as a bow hunter. He said today, on Bow hunt Or Die, ( 3/2/2019. On Monster Buck’s, today, on television. David took a shot at a mature buck at 45 yard. I watched it today, around 5PM. He ranged the buck. Pull up his Bear bow. A nice bow by-the-way. Shot at the mature buck, and at 45 yards, hit it in the knee. He managed to get off a second shot and hit it and killed it. Yes, some of you guys are great shots on targets. But, I don’t think you guys are as good as you think when it comes to live game. When bowhunters were aske what was their maximum distance? they all but a few said close, 35 yards and in. But there were those hunters that made those outrageous claims that they could kill a deer at a 100 yards and better. They might get luck and hit a deer at that distance and kill it. But at 50 and 65 yards, its a crap game. I say the farther one shoots at a deer, the more he misses the target. At a 100 yards, one may hit a deer but to hit it in a vital kill area, is as about as likely as you going out in your backyard and seeing Bigfoot. The bow and arrow is simply not a long range weapon. For shooting long distances at deer; the bow and arrow is the wrong tool for the job.

4. PaulBlackburn says:

I’m a bow hunter, and I have killed my share of deer over the years. However, I have shot a deer at a distance that I didn’t know how far it was. I had to hold my bow up in the air, like on a 45 degree angle, and let her fly. By shooting or aiming flat. My arrow would have hit the ground 60 yards before it got to the deer. When the arrow came down. It went completely through the deer. It took off running. It came to a stone rock fence, and stumbled over it, another 100 yards away. I trailed it that evening and came back the next day, but never found it. The farmer found it and told me he found it because the buzzards were flying over it. That was in my early days of bow hunting. When I didn’t know better. Or really how to bow hunt deer. After years of studying the whitetail deer and hunting them I learned how to hunt them and how to take the right shot. After years of shooting, I became good with my compound bow and arrow. But I never shot at a deer 35 yards. The furtherest, I shot one was 30 yards. When a hunter starts taking shots the breaks the boarder of 40 yards. he is doing a disservice to the sport and art of bow hunting. How? He is acting in a way that is unethical behavior. Taking those 50, 60 and 65 yard shots. Doesn’t demonstrate respect for the game. You tend to wound and leave the animal to die a horrible death, from a miss shot, from its wounds, or from coyotes. by acting unethically by taking shots that are too far. the un spoken ethics and ideals of bowhunting is to take a close and reasonable and ethical shot. That results in quick human kills. You owe it to your fellow hunters to teach them that, and to the game and the sport. You owe it to your fellow bow hunter to tell him not to take those long shots. It is not fair to the game you hunt.

5. Derrick says:

For me my furthest bow kill was at 30 yards and that’s where I like to keep it and closer but if the situation was perfect which it rarely is I’d shoot to 40. I’m comfortable to 50 but like I said the situation has to be perfect for it.

6. Harold portwood says:

All though I can hit inside of 4 or 5” at 100yrds constantly, I would fell comfortable with his head down or looking away broadside at 50 but I usually hunt thick woods and a 35/40 shot is About as far as a clear shot gets for me.

7. Dwight Leidholm says:

There shouldn’t be a need for shots over 50 yds if you are setup in the right spot. If you can’t get closer than that you should work more on stand placement or hunting the wind better instead of shooting further.

8. KEVIN L MULDER says:

One of the worst feelings in the world?!? Wounding a big buck because you took a shot that was out of ethical range! I have killed a lot of bucks and the farthest I have shot one is 34 yds. I had a giant 4 year old at 50 yards two years ago and let him walk because it’s just not worth wounded a great animal for a shot that is too far.