Why You Should Practice at Longer Distances [Video]

Over the years I’ve heard archers boast that they practice shooting their bow at close, hunting distances only. “Practicing at long distances will only tempt you to shoot deer at long  distance,” they’ll say. But the reality is, practicing at long distance is of great benefit to you as a bowhunter. Why should you practice at longer distances? Read on…

practice at longer distances - long-shot-pj

Flaws in your shot can’t hide when you’re shooting at longer distances.

I’ve always found long distance practice as a confidence booster. Accurately hitting the mark at 80 yards as always helped my confidence soar when it comes to shooting whitetail deer at 20-40 yards. But practice at longer distances will benefit you far beyond building your confidence. The video below from our friends at Lancaster Archery Supply will shed some light on why you should practice at longer distances.

We want to hear from you. How far do you shoot when you practice? Comment below and let us know what your practice routine looks like.

Comments

1. Doug Krebs says:

Great advice. I personally practice out to 100 yards. Participating in outdoor target and 3D competitions throughout the summer is a great way to stay in the game as well.

• Brodie Swisher Brodie Swisher says:

Thanks for checking it out, Doug! Have a great season!

2. Angie Arthur says:

What is the side bar for? I only practice out to 40-50 yards. Great video! Thank you!

• developer says:

link to bowhunting.com
      Here’s some more info about a siderod stabilizer. It’s not for everyone, but it’s a good idea to check it out!

3. I practice at 40 yards. But will certainly back it out to 60 yards. No problem with that.

4. Eric Price says:

Great advice and great practice. I get the most out of mine using Lumenoks. It adds an elemant that allows me to see errant flight caused by form issues and I get it instantly. No need for Binos.

5. Tim Lovern says:

Lately I’ve at the 80yd line. I’m about 50% at this distance – I will put 4 on target one string and three on target the next. (for me, right now, on-target is a circle of about 5″ around the point of aim – i.e.: minute of elk). My goal is to be consistent with all 5 arrows within the circle, every shot, then I will try to shrink it to a 4″ circle. My misses tend to be further out than I’d like. I know when I drop, when I push, and when I torque – just can’t seem to consistently not do one of those things….

6. Donna Smith says:

Oh snap I just now started shooting 40 yards, but I’m in at that distance m. Only been shooting since October last year, up to 42lbs not bad for a soon to be 57 year young woman.

7. Chris Sanders says:

I have a 5 pin sight with sights set at 20, 30, 40, 50, & 60 yards. I practice out to 60 and sometime 65 or 70 yards. Last year was the first year I hunted and only had a 3 pin sight at the time set at 20, 30 & 40 yards. The area I hunted was fairly thick timber and could see few deer more than 40 yards away. I ended up killing 2 deer, an antler-less yearling buck that I shot at 16 yards and a big 8 pointer with a 22″ inside spread, that I spotted about 80 yards away and called in to 22 yards. Next year I hope to make a trip out west for either elk or mule deer, but the longer distance practice I’ve been doing will hopefully pay dividends this year as well.

8. I practice out to 70 yards. It makes out to 40 my groups 1” to a 1”1/2. From 50 to 70 yards I shoot 1” 1/2 to 5” groups. Do to practicing out to 70 yards, I’m able to take deer out to 50 yards. That never ran more then 20 yards.