ATA LogoLive Coverage of the 2018 ATA ShowLive ATA Show CoverageDON'T MISS OUT

Garmin Xero Rangefinding Bow Sight

The Garmin XERO bow sight was creating a lot of excitement, even before the 2018 ATA show ever got started. There’s a lot of bowhunters weighing in with their thoughts on this new and innovative bow sight. It’s a first for Garmin as they jump into the archery market with a killer debut item.

Here’s a look at what we’ve found so far from Garmin…

Garmin has introduced the Xero A1 and A1i, two groundbreaking auto-ranging digital laser bow sights that automatically measure the distance to a target and provide a precise, virtual lighted pin for the shot. A silent, single-button trigger mounted on the bow’s grip lets the archer range targets at rest or at full draw, virtually eliminating distance estimation and hunter movement – two of the biggest challenges in archery hunting. The laser range finder instantly provides the precise anglecompensated distance – up to 100 yards on game or 300 yards on reflective targets. The Xero then projects a precise, virtual LED pin that is only visible to the archer, and without the clutter of multiple physical pins. An ambient light sensor ensures the pin brightness is optimized for various shooting conditions. “The Xero bow sight is truly a game-changer in the archery world. It helps take the guesswork out of ranging a target,” said Dan Bartel, vice president of worldwide sales. “When that buck of a lifetime walks by, knowing your precise yardage and having the exact pin to shoot is often the difference between making that shot or going home empty-handed.”

garmin-xero

The new Garmin Xero could be a game changer.

Archers can customize the Xero for single or multiple pin configurations, or they can manually select a pin of a pre-determined distance. A sunlight-readable display helps the user configure and customize the sight and provides information like target distance and angle. It also provides a shot odometer, so archers can keep tabs on how many times they’ve shot in one practice session or over the lifetime of the bow.

The Xero A1i includes many additional features. Laser Locate estimates the arrow’s point of impact and transfers that location to a compatible Garmin device1 so hunters know where to begin their recovery of game. The A1i also enables the archer to configure multiple arrow profiles, to easily transition between a target or hunting setup without readjusting the sight.

Archers can also analyze and improve their performance with shot dynamics – information like arrow speed, roll of the bow, and bow impulse duration. Additionally, the A1i features user selectable red (default) and green LED pins.

The Xero operates up to a year on two AAA lithium batteries and comes in both right and lefthanded configurations. Ruggedized and water rated to IPX72, the Xero can withstand the rigors of bowhunting. The Xero A1 has a minimum retail price of $799.99, and the A1i has a minimum retail price of $999.99. .

For more information, visit www.garmin.com/xero.

Comments

1. Does Garmin have any plans to release a version most hunter’s can afford? The low end model still costs more than my bow and equipment.

• Joe Pflug says:

I was thinking the same thing when I heard the price.

2. I am a 56 yr old woman first time bow hunter, I like this, I can never remember the yardage, this would be great, bit pricey but maybe if I’m good hubby would get it for my birthday.

3. Does this work on a cross bow?

4. Hopefully Garmin reads these post….. I typically do not post on products. I do like this concept and I am good on the price and may make a purchase anyway, However, I see a personal con if I am viewing the picture correctly.
    1.) Adaptability of a dovetail mount giving the ability to shorten the overall length. 2.) Also, I can’t locate any specs that indicate the material (ex: aluminum) used or the moa size of the pins (dots). Maybe a spec update online is all thats need for me to decide.

5. I remember when people went into bowhunting for the challenge, I hope this product flops.

• I’m with you if I wanted to make it this easy I’d start rifle hunting!! Bow hunting is tradition and a test of ones skills and this is taking away from a time honored tradition that’s makes bowhunting so much fun and enjoyable!

6. This is a game changer. I don’t like that it takes some of the challenge out of bow hunting, but you still have to execute the shot people, this isn’t a hellfire missile… What I love about this is it will minimize the room for error (and hopefully the potential for a wounded animal) in those situations where you have to range and execute a shot quickly. There are so many variables in archery and this eliminates that one that might be the difference between a kill and a marginal shot. Plus I think this is a sign of the direction sights are going (look at the firearm industry). Overtime these types of sights will get lighter, cheaper, and more advanced.

7. Exactly….bowhunting has been my passion since shooting metal pins with a painted tip. Actually, I bet most have a rangefinder in their bag (now its on the sight), this sight shows your roll (just like a bubble level), the point of aim on this sight (just like adjusting your sight after using a rangefinder in your bag). The sight simply puts the tools one uses now at your fingertips. Its only convenient, it doesn’t make you hit your target. I purchased my first rangefinder last year, after 38 years shooting bows. I have started shooting across one ridge to another. I will evaluate this sight fairly for purchase when I have one in my hand.

8. for those that wear glasses and hard to see threw the peep I think it would be good, But a bit pricey. Not sure if you still need a peep site?