Deer Euthanized 9 Days After Ovary Removal

Last week we reported on a deer sterilization project taking place in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The project consists of both lethal and non-lethal means of reducing the local deer herd. We’ve now received word that Deer #32, one of the deer that had its ovaries removed through the non-lethal sterilization portion of the project, has been euthanized due to failing health.

Deer Sterilization

Time will tell how effective this “non-lethal” means of deer management truly is.

According to a report by Mlive.com, the deer was found in a state of distress and was euthanized on Friday, Feb. 3, according to the city and White Buffalo Inc., the Connecticut-based wildlife control contractor hired by the city to carry out the sterilization experiment. Deer #32 had been spotted several times throughout the previous week. Once standing in the middle of traffic, and once acting overly friendly as it approached a vehicle.

“Upon examination, the sterilization incision appeared to be healed and was not infected, and there were no signs of bleeding, discharge or trauma,” according to an incident report shared by the city.  However, because the animal was in distress, Dr. DeNicola decided that the humane course of action was to euthanize the deer by injection.”

This method of deer management has sparked controversy throughout the Ann Arbor area, as well as across the country. Its effectiveness remains to be seen.  We want to hear from you. What do you think about the method and means by which deer management is being handled in Ann Arbor? Comment below, and let us know your thoughts.

Comments

1. Rodney hartline says:

As a avid hunter it makes me sick to see this, there is better ways to control the deer population, they already had the deer tranquilized they could have moved them to arias affected by ehd to help bring back the population in southwest Michigan. Deer numbers are down in southwest Michigan.

2. Chris Massena says:

This is ridiculous and a waste of money! Give out more doe tags and have more hunting seasons. Stop trying to control things in a unnatural way

3. Best method for population control is hunting. Expand the doe limits as well as the season length.

• Richard Zangaro says:

Exactly my point too!

• I agree 100% with DougG. Its not right to alter the wildlife. But control things how we have controlled things for eons. By hunting. You know how many families could benefit from an over population of deer. Instead of trying to engineer a way to stop them from breeding get people out there and hunting.

4. Rick France says:

what a pitiful waste of an animas life. when a hunter takes an animal it is completely utilized as food, leather, sometimes glue. Point is the animal did lose its life for nothing. what a hair brained scheme, and a waste of tax payers money and natural resources. Extend the hunting season, sell extra tags and make a little money to solve your over population problem.

5. Richard Zangaro says:

I believe it’s an asinine way to thin out the deer population, why not open an all year long bow season and do it naturally the way it was intended to be. Take away restrictions on numbers of antlers and what gender can be taken.

• Paul Blackburn says:

Richard, that is exactly what needs to be done. The season should last at least until the end of April. Remove all antler restriction for bow hunters. This antler restriction has cut my deer harvest down to zero. I could have shot nice does, but the game and fish had put a restriction on bow hunters that they couldn’t kill does when gun season was open. Really! I’m not hunting with a gun. I can hardly kill one when I have it at 15 yards. Then to put a restriction on a bow hunter that he can’t kill a spike, or a doe. This 3 point rule is bull stuff. If I want to kill a spike with my bow for venison. I should be able to. They want deer to get old. I hunt for venison, and trophy bucks. I should have the choice to take a spike if I want. Big antlers are okay, but that is not what hunting is all about. This 3 points has gotten to many deer on the land. This had lead to disease and death of the herds. Same with not being able to shoot does in gun season. That has skyrocketed the doe population. There is more does inside the city limits than in our national forests. In vacant yards and wood lots, here in Fayetteville, AR., there are or more does than I can count. Each year there is more. Antler restrictions and no shooting of does by bow hunter, and not allowing bow hunters to hunt in vacant wood lots have lead to an over population of deer numbers, and disease. In some parts of Arkansas ( in the CWD zones ) bucks one to two years old have CWD. We should be able to kill some of those young spikes before the whole buck population is contaminated. There is more to this than meets the eye. When I asked the Mayor about hunting inside the city limits. He said I would have trouble with the animal rights people. I think I could come to terms with those people. When I explained how hunting can control deer populations and help with deer disease. That all for now. If we as hunters are going to get any relief from these crazy rules. We must talk to our officials. There is a crazy rule in one state that you can’t hunt on Sunday. REALLY! If a person has a deer problem inside the city limits, and you get permission to hunt their land and they give it to you. One should be able to do so, – but safely. Now that CWD has hit in this state; my wife says she is not going to eat any more deer meat.

6. Hayden Peterman says:

It is dumb and a waste of government money. Should let the hunters take care of the issue by issuing more tags

7. Billie norman says:

Another epic fail committed by well meaning idiots that will do NOTHING to help the people OR the deer.

8. Stop the mindless waste of money,and issue more doe tags.We are supposed to be intelligent.

• Who ever said that the animal activists were intelligent, hunting is a proven method that will control over population. However deer that stay in the city where they are safe is another issue.

• Paul Blackburn says:

There is a lady inside the city limits that says the deer a very poor in body. There is to many for the wood lot now. She gave me permission to hunt them. I didn’t ask her.

9. Paul Eacker says:

This is what happens when politics instead of real people are involved , sad.

10. As an RN and also a hunter I totally agree with the other comments about issuing more doe tags. It is completely insane that this happened in the first place. Let’s see how those people feel when their ovaries/tsticles are removed. Not a pleasant experience for anyone. I would have been standing in the middle of the road as well, awaiting the sweet relief of screeching tires and death. People’s ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

11. Paul Blackburn says:

My season ended to day. I say far less deer this season. My freezer is empty once again. Damn, I hate that I have to buy some high priced Jack Link beef jerky! – I won’t. I’ll buy some burger and make my own.

12. Paul Blackburn says:

Dammit to hell!

13. arrowwhisper says:

My grandmother also had a doe and two fawns playing around in her backyard this past summer and the year before another doe or two came through eating vegetables in her garden in Birmingham MI 14Mile Rd a few block from Woodward. She’s lived there for over 60years and never seen dear there. They need to be relocated or taken by a bow. But the publics safety is a concern when you give a person permission to shoot a bow in the backyard in the city limits. To many people around, cars, and windows. variables of missing. Just relocate them.

14. Deer populations within city limits are huge, unfortunately archery culling isn’t allowed and they have nothing stopping the heard size but sources of food. Our southeast Michigan attempt with multiple doe tags per person, to curb vehicle/deer accidents has failed and lead to famine for hunters on public lands. The forested public land population has dropped by nearly 70% since the 90’s, which in turn has caused the loss of old and new hunters alike, along with revenue for the state. The fix is simple, relocate animals from cities back to they’re natural habitat, keeping checks and balances from there on out.
    A side note, issue LESS doe tags and KEEP antler restrictions in place, in a couple more years we’ll have many very happy hunters…including myself.

15. JEFF JACOBS says:

FUNNY THERE ARE PEOPLE STARVING IN THE WORLD AND IN OUR OWN COUNTRY AND OUR GOVERNMENT IS TRYING TO CUT BACK HARVEST AND INTENTIONLY WAISTING RESORCES.

16. Ridiculous. Period. How the pilot program discussion ever got through the round table lip service phase is amazing. There cannot be a wildlife biologist on this planet that would think this is a viable solution.