You Pick My Stand This Weekend

Ok, here’s your chance to pick the stand I hunt from this weekend. Since I can’t seem to pick the right one to be in, I’m going to let you pick the spot. I’ll post some arieal pictures and a topo of my property and give you a little information on each area and then you tell me where to sit.

The predicted winds are supposed be from the Northwest at 5-10 mph, temps in the low teens at night and 25-30 during the day. This is very hilly ground so the wind does tend to swirl and change directions quite often. Unless it’s a strong steady wind it’s really hard to predict where my scent will travel.

Yellow is my property line.

#1. A creek crossing at the end of a point. The long skinny green field is NWSG (CRP). Right across the creek is a picked bean field. No kills here yet

#2. A ridge between a very steep, deep hollow and the hillside leading down to the CRP. Killed my doe in this area earlier this season.

#3. A 30 yard wide spot in my food plot with soy beans and brassicas planted in front of it. 1 buck and 3 does have been killed here.

#4. The bottom of a small creekbed the deer like to travel through. Scrapes and rubs here earlier. This is where I killed my buck in 2008 and also a doe that year.

#5. Large creek bottom with flowing water and many ridges dropping down into it here. Many scrapes and rubs here. 2 does have been killed here.

#6. Ground blind between standing soy beans and brassicas. A doe was killed from a stand in the North end of the field here.

#7. Trail around the head of a steep ravine leading from bedding are to food plot. 2 does have been killed here.

#8. Where point starts to drop off towards neighbors picked corn field. Also a bedding area. No kills here yet.

#9. Ridge above steep ravine, huge rubs here, bedding area. My first kill on the property was a doe from a stand here.

3D view from the North

3D view from the West

3D view from the South

3D view from the East

Deer Beds from my first few scouting trips of the property.

The area with the highest concentration of beds is my designated sanctuary. I stay out of there unless I’m on a blood trail or shed hunting in the spring. It’s a fairly brushy area with some points the deer like to bed on.

Comments

1. Christine says:

#1, #4, #5 Stay off the food plot for awhile. The bucks have you patterned up there. Don't forget to watch those locust pods. :)

2. Doug Smith says:

I say go with #3, because that's my lucky number!

3. Christine says:

#1, #4, #5. You should listen to me because I obviously have this figured out. not.. :(

4. #3 for sure!

5. I am with #2 or #3 but move stand #2 either east to the inside corner of that southernmost field east of the bedding.(NW wind remember) #3 you could move to the same spot or set up a new stand there. Good Luck JM!

6. Jake Reisert says:

#6 would be where I would sit. They need to fuel up on the food for recovering from rut and for the winter. If this fails I would stalk around the most well known bedding area with a good pair of binocs and your muzzleloader or weapon of choice.

7. BRIAN SCHILLER says:

i would sit in area's 3 or 6 trying to catch them moving from bedding to a food source. the past few weeks around me in northern il the deer seem to be hitting the food sources pretty hard at sunset. good luck and straight shootin!

8. Brandon says:

My input probably is of no good as I am not a seasoned hunter, only have about 12 years of hunting but NOT alot of areas to hunt. However on a guess only basis and a humble one at that I like #9 as possibly the deer coming from bedding areas closer to #2 will be walking with the wind and since you have some nice big rubs there and a ridge above the ravine I would think some good sightings. Plus if they are walking with the wind they would maybe be heading to that CRP field? Probably doesn't make sense but that's where my inexperience would put me.

9. i would go to # 8 maybe catch them going to feed on some corn.

10. John-I dont know if you ever watched any of the blood brother videos and if not i would pick their version up of "Hill country Bucks" – video's are kind of dull but they are great! Lots of good stratigies and different approches. Looking at the layout of your property that video would fit great in your hunting video collection!! They have helped me with set ups along with understaning different types of deer behavior. Good luck man!

11. I would sit stand number 3. With a northwest wind you should catch them crusing the thermal tunnel on the downwind side on the ridge. Also they should bed on the downwind side so thats where I would be.

12. gri22ly says:

You don't have a stand where I would hunt…so out of the stands you do have #3 is the only good choise for a NW wind…GOOD LUCK!!!

13. For sure #5

14. sit #6

15. Carvinitup00 says:

I like 7 for the PM hunt. Deer coming out of the bed to the food plots. You can sneak in from the SE near the food plot. Deer will be a bit skiddish if the wind picks up so they tend to stay hunkered down near beds.

16. Mystery Hunter says:

Well, seeing you have a Northwest wind and it is late rut where I live and am guessing it most likely is there to. Without knowing a lot more info about how far it is from a major bedding area and food source. I would choose #9. My thinking is that after the hard rut is winding down the bucks will stay close to the beding area closest to a food plot where they do not have to travel a lot! Worked for me yesterday and shot a 160 10 pointer! I noticed the rut winding down 5 days ago here in East Texas and buck movement change considerably. Not chasing as they have been and deer movement slowed way down! I changed my stand location to close to a bedding area that had a hidden food plot close by in cover. Thats where the bucks have went to for now!

17. John Mueller says:

I hunted #1 twice, saw 7 deer across the creek in the neighbors bean field Sat. morning and 1 deer on my hillside Sunday evening.

Hunted #6 Saturday evening and saw 5 does/fawns. Two came within 25 yards, but never offered me a good shot. They were always facing me.

I found a group of beds in the snow to the East of #7 on the end of a ridge while checking trail cams Saturday so I hunted right over them Sunday morning. Nothing came in to bed there but I did see 2 coyotes and 4 deer a good ways off.

Thanks for all your input, but your no better at picking hunting spots than I am. ๐Ÿ˜‰

18. Mystery Hunter says:

Try finding a Major Bedding area that has a small hidden food plot nearby! Seatup right out of the bedding area with the right wind. The Bucks are all bedding up now and are in a late rut pattern. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

19. You didnt hunt #2 damn it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

20. Gerald/NY says:

John,

I'm SO GLAD you wrote that last sentence… I feel a lot better knowing I have something in common with the pro's. :)

21. Gerald/NY says:

John,

Im SO GLAD you wrote that last sentence… I feel a lot better knowing I have something in common with the pros. :)