First Crossbow, First Coyote

Posted by: Alli Armstrong on May 23, 2014

My sister’s passion for the outdoors is just as strong as mine. We’ve both followed right along in our Dad’s boot tracks since we were five years old. We started out with .22 rifles and have worked our way up through the years to bigger guns and even bows (and not the kind you put in your hair). My little sister, Adriana, and I have always loved shooting our bows. When we were little, we began shooting the toy bows (with no sights) at targets in the yard. Through the years we have both worked our way up to compound bows and crossbows. Adriana just turned twelve and she loves shooting her Mission compound bow, especially at 3-D targets. She practices year round and we often have friendly archery competitions and she can definitely hold her own.

A girl with a crossbow

If you’re looking for a good way to get your child into the outdoors before they are ready for a standard bow, take a look at the crossbow.

Adriana is a great shot and would love to archery hunt here in Illinois but she can’t quite pull back the required poundage yet. Luckily, Adriana got a Mission MXB-360 crossbow before deer season this past year. She loved getting it sighted in and trying something new, since she had never shot a crossbow before. Adriana loved the crossbow and was thrilled to find out that starting last fall, after the second shotgun season, she could go deer hunting with her crossbow. She practiced more and more with the crossbow as soon as she found out; in hopes that she would make a perfect shot on a deer in the fall.

The crossbow is perfect for her to hunt with and since she had it, she could continue to hunt through the rest of archery season. Using a crossbow has opened up a new door of hunting opportunities for Adriana. She enjoyed having a longer season than what she is used to because before she could only shotgun and muzzleloader hunt. This amount of time isn’t very long compared to the amount of time that is allowed for archery season. Crossbow hunting is also more challenging for her because the deer have to be closer than when hunting with a gun. Since she had practiced so much with her crossbow, she also improved her shooting skills for gun hunting.

Sisters Hunting in the Blind

I really enjoyed spending time with my sister in the blind as she tried to fill her crossbow tag.

After many early morning and cold evenings, Adriana never got a chance at the buck she was hoping would be her first with a crossbow. Adriana never gave up though. She was a trooper and was in the tree stand at times when even some grown men wouldn’t be and she was more than happy to be there. Although she didn’t shoot a deer with her trusty MXB-360 she drilled a coyote while he was sneaking by her tree stand one evening.

Girl with hunted Coyote

Although it wasn’t a buck, my sister couldn’t have been happier after tagging this coyote with her Mission MXB-360.

I think she was just as happy with that coyote as she would have been with a 150-inch buck! She couldn’t wait to show him off and tell everyone the story. All of her practice and time she had put in paid off for her. She was proud to have him and we were happy to have one less deer and turkey predator on the farm. There is no telling what Adriana will have shot in a year’s time with her crossbow. I can’t wait to see.

Alli Armstrong

Sign up for the BH logo Bowhunter's Alert:

52 Comments on "First Crossbow, First Coyote"

Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Nice coyote! Good job and good article.
Posted by David on 5/23/2014 2:30:49 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
For some reason, this URL didn't get included in my comment. Here it is, a story about a 9-yr old boy who started his own animal rescue because he saw the need, encourage by his parents. http://www.care2.com/cuases/9-year-old-opens-his-own-animal-shelter.html
Posted by Natalie Jarnstedt on 5/24/2014 11:38:29 AM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
http://gameandgarden.com/sustainability/land/do-coyotes-affect-deer-populations/ Coyotes are destructive to deer herds and drastically devastate the population and general health of deer. I aplaude these parents for teaching these kids an indispensable skill such as hunting. Why do you pour ant killer on an ant hill? Why do you place rat traps? why do we place murderers in jail and yield to the death penalty? Death is a resultant of life, and what better way than to teach our children to do it with respect and honor. I was taught to hunt at a young age and killed my first squirrel at the age of 6, and I have never once had even the slightest desire to be a "serial killer"... By the way, Natalie, the boy who started his own animal rescue did not take in Coyotes... these are wild and viscous animals. SP - be aware that you are making ignorant generalities that are not based in reality, there are two other side of that coin that "serial killers" also exhibit. (1) Animal Cruelty
Posted by JWS on 5/24/2014 4:14:24 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
It's encouraging to see young people, especially girls, learn and master the skills required for hunting with a bow or a gun. Those commenters that criticize Adriana or her parents clearly don't understand the impact coyotes can have on the environment. They are probably equally unaware of the lives that beef cattle endure before ending up in the supermarket, unlike the relatively few wild animals that are harvested every year. These young women should be proud of their skills and accomplishments, and people like Natalie should look at the industrial farming practices they support before they complain about legimitate hunting activities.
Posted by Jack on 5/24/2014 7:08:22 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Inn response to JWS – it is always difficult to understand the reasoning of state wildlife agencies; on one hand, there are always complaints about too many deer, why they must be hunted to lower their populations, lamenting the lack of predators, etc. On the other hand, predators are impacting deer herds – seriously? Whom should one believe – does it all depend on which way the wind blows? Don’t assume that I do any of the things that you listed, nor do I believe in the death penalty. And what exactly does killing animals for enjoyment have to do with putting murderers behind bars? There are millions and millions of people without skills to kill, yet you claim that it’s a positive requirement, for what? In order to learn about death doesn’t mean one must kill to understand it. I have been quite aware of death and its real meaning since I was a very small child, having lived through WWII, stepping over dead bodies on streets, having witnessed two young men blowing up into piece
Posted by Natalie Jarnstedt on 5/24/2014 7:39:40 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
In response to JWS – it is always difficult to understand the reasoning of state wildlife agencies; on one hand, there are always complaints about too many deer, why they must be hunted to lower their populations, lamenting the lack of predators, etc. On the other hand, predators are impacting deer herds – seriously? Whom should one believe – does it all depend on which way the wind blows? Don’t assume that I do any of the things that you listed, nor do I believe in the death penalty. And what exactly does killing animals for enjoyment have to do with putting murderers behind bars? There are millions and millions of people without skills to kill, yet you claim that it’s a positive requirement, for what? In order to learn about death doesn’t mean one must kill to understand it. I have been quite aware of death and its real meaning since I was a very small child, having lived through WWII, stepping over dead bodies on streets, having witnessed two young men blowing up into pieces after s
Posted by Natalie Jarnstedt on 5/24/2014 8:08:20 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
My comment was not posted in full - I have tried a second time, it still gets cut off. If there is a word limit,please post it for all to observe. Thank you kindly!
Posted by Natalie Jarnstedt on 5/24/2014 8:29:29 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Are these articles posted elsewhere or just on this BOWHUNTING website? What was taken was legal and I can almost bet that before the girl shot it she knew why she was shooting it before she took aim at it. Where I'm from with raising livestock coyotes are a big problem and over populate just like rabbits except instead of running from they run towards just like the same DNA your family pet has to chase the rabbits in your yard, if you don't eliminate some of the predators they over take, so stop accusing this girl and family for a job well done.
Posted by David on 5/24/2014 9:16:37 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
The rest of my comment was cut off as well, Natalie. Just for reference, I am a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, albeit it a different war than WWII, nevertheless it is still a war; so what I am saying is I understand what it means to not only take a life but experience death. With that said, my comments were in reference to “s.p.” please read their comments prior to jumping to conclusions. Comparing two young girls enjoying the sport of hunting to your experiences in WWII makes as much sense as me comparing them to when my platoon and I opened fire in protection of a village against a gang of insurgents… there is no comparison at all. If ignorance is bliss, then please keep listening to NPR and going to the grocery store for your meat.
Posted by JWS on 5/26/2014 5:12:09 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
I think these two young ladies are doing just great!!! Kill as many as you can!!!
Posted by James Seitz (deerjim@embarqmail.com) on 5/27/2014 1:21:46 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
The only good coyote is a dead coyote!!! Keep it up girls!!!!
Posted by t.b.b on 5/27/2014 3:18:18 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
FANTASTIC... hope my son can do as well with his apprentice hunter program when he turns 12
Posted by Sean on 5/27/2014 3:20:20 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
This is OUTSTANDING! I cannot wait till my daughters are old enough to hunt with me! Continue the good work and keep on hunting!
Posted by Mason on 5/27/2014 3:24:11 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Congrats on first coyote ......my kids love to hunt them
Posted by Jimmy on 5/27/2014 3:24:11 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Great job girls! There's nothing quite so fine as enjoying the great outdoors that God put here for us to enjoy while doing a little bit of predator management. Keep up the great work, don't let the ignorant, holier-than-thou anti's get you down!
Posted by Justin Zarr on 5/27/2014 3:25:38 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Excellent work! You've learned a valuable life skill that the antis wish they had. And in the event of a zombie apocalypse you are welcome in our camp!
Posted by sim on 5/27/2014 3:26:19 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Congrats, an awesome achievement considering most 12 year old kids cant get off the couch
Posted by Craig on 5/27/2014 3:29:39 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Great job getting a coyote. They a hard animal to get with a bow .I hope U get every one u see . Keep showin us boys up we dont mind to much. My lil girl got her first deer this year an I couldn't be more proud of her. I think there should be more women like yall.
Posted by kenny on 5/27/2014 3:31:02 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Glad to see you are enjoying the great outdoors.Don't be discouraged by the negative comments they don't understand the balance in nature.
Posted by Ashley on 5/27/2014 3:31:10 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Congrats on the Yote, now lets get on to some table fare!!!
Posted by Stumpjumper on 5/27/2014 3:33:45 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Good going. Don't listen to all the tree huggers. Enjoy the experience.
Posted by Howard on 5/27/2014 3:35:47 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Many Hunters make clean kills. As a Hunter my self my priority is to not make the animal suffer. This is where practice comes in. Knowing where to make the shot is key. Great first coyote kill!
Posted by HLF on 5/27/2014 3:36:00 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Great job girls! I cant wait for my daughter's to get there first kill whether it be a mangy yote or a deer! And for anti hunter tree huggers if you dont like it quit reading it!
Posted by tj on 5/27/2014 3:36:03 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Congrats on your awesome Harvest! Be proud of yourself for making a great shot!
Posted by Chadwick on 5/27/2014 3:37:24 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
I love seeing kids ingauged in the out doors..keeps them out of trouble.I raised my kids hunting.Yes we kill our own food while ppl cast stones and they letting someone else kill there's.Congrats young lady! Another yearlin killer down..
Posted by Shane on 5/27/2014 3:38:27 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
And to all of you ignorant antis bashing this girl and her parents.. what the help are your children doing, sitting around being babysat by the television and their PlayStation.. You call this violence? Go walk the streets of Detroit for a day, go visit a commercial farm where you beef and pork comes from. You people are ignorant with your peta cult worship. Its too bad we can't cull you all from the herd also.
Posted by Stumpjumper on 5/27/2014 3:38:34 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
You people talking about this little girl and her family should be ashamed of themselves YOU ARE IDIOTS I think every coyote in this country should be shot. Wait till one of those same DNA animals as your pet as you put it kills that household pet. JERKS
Posted by Brian on 5/27/2014 3:40:08 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Great job young lady! Not always easy to do it with a rifle and smoked him with a bow. Congrats!
Posted by Larry M. on 5/27/2014 3:44:41 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Congrats on the coyote! Don't let these people talk you down. They don't understand the ins and outs of hunting, the hours, the preparation, the connection with nature, and perhaps most importantly, the conservation. Most people don't realize that hunters are the reason deer are still around today. They were almost extinct in 1900 and due to regulated hunting now thrive once more. We also reintroduce animals to native lands and create wildlife conservation areas. Be proud of your harvest! Job well done. That is a few fawns saved this spring for sure.
Posted by Zach M. on 5/27/2014 3:48:58 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
In response to the comments made against the "inhumane," "unnecessary" killing of animals, I say this: Do you even know why we hunt? Do you realize that we need population control of certain wild animals? Do you know what coyotes do? Do some research before you decide to speak on this issue again. Hunting is a great sport that I truly enjoy! It is the hunt that is exciting, not the kill. This is why we kill them in the quickest way possible. This is why we need to promote safe hunting procedures, and starting kids out on the right way to hunt is definitely important.
Posted by Dani Rusbult on 5/27/2014 3:49:44 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
For those who are shaming this kid and her parents for killing a coyote... You don't know as much about the animals you are trying to protect. Coyotes are a nuisance to the farming community. They kill livestock and are a risk for attacking humans.
Posted by Sam on 5/27/2014 4:00:10 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
I dont believe these people know what the true meaning of hunting is see there are many coyotes out there that kill your family pet that kill livestock in turn raising price of these items they need to be taken out and managed just like any other animal in the wild . in alot of places the coyotes have became a nuisance but im proud of you girls it is obvious that you both have been well trained and taught proper ethics and handling on fire arms and other equipment id welcome you to come hunting with me any time and for those of you that want to be appalled by it get a grip it is your thinking that the world is in the mess its in today .As You see I use my real name im not ashamed nor try to hide anything I can be found on facebook.Congrats girls WTG on the coyotes get more of them
Posted by John Brotherton on 5/27/2014 4:05:56 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Thats what we call parenting done right. Taught the young lady that weapons are deadly, taught her that you treat them with respect, taught her to shoot with accuracy and to kill clean. Showed her how to help mamage the land in order to maintain a healthy population of wild game. Still cannot figure out why non hunters and peoole that oppose hunting but still eat meat that is killed in far from human conditions who be reading an article on a hunting website. Mom and dad keep it up and young lady put that good on shot on your first deer this fall.
Posted by Chuck on 5/27/2014 4:07:23 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
In response to Greer Ashton: You know NOT of which you speak! Archery hunting does NOT result in more wounded wildlife than clean kills. Clean Kills do not "seldom happen," in archery hunting. Archery hunting is just as effective, in resulting in a quick and clean kill, as any other type of hunting. I'm an archery hunter, I respect the wildlife that I hunt. I would not support a type of hunting that did not result in a quick and clean kill. The deer I shot last year died within a couple of steps and within a couple of seconds. The turkey I shot, last weekend, died instantly. The majority of hunters are ethical people, practicing and perfecting their skills for the purpose of making an ethical shot that results in a quick and clean kill. Before you spout your ignorant opinions next time, do some actual research.
Posted by Michael on 5/27/2014 4:36:53 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Congrats on the Yote and to all the non hunters and the people who say is there anything sacred anymore. The only thing dieing in this country is our freedom. Keep preaching your views and take our rights while you bury your own.
Posted by John Blackmore on 5/27/2014 4:40:43 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
AWESOME SHOT LIL'LADY...Keep it up!
Posted by AFITE on 5/27/2014 4:56:27 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
To start...WTG girls!!! Let me ask you...where do you get your food? Your pesticide infested, genetically modified, stand in its own poop daily....beef? It don't drop from the food gods....its killed and butchered and over priced because you like it. Not a hunter? Good for you! But before you judge everyone else before you cast that first stone look at yourself and if you are so perfect that nothing you do will "bother" or "offend" someone else...anyone else...drop that self-righteous stone you love to throw at others and live your own life. or to make it short and simple.
Posted by Tammy on 5/27/2014 5:04:50 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
I like to give a big Congrats to you. Hunting is a skill that takes a lot of practice to make a clean Kill without that animal to suffer. I am a women hunter who has been hunting for 19 years(thanks to my hubby) and I love it. Coyotes is thick here where I am from and they will take down a calf just as easy as they would a deer and that is money out of a farmers pocket.
Posted by Kammie B. on 5/27/2014 5:07:04 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
The rest of my comment was to anti hunters....I am all for hunting and proud these girls are doing what they are doing!
Posted by Tammy on 5/27/2014 5:08:40 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Congrats on the yote! Good to see that you are enjoying the outdoors and doing your part to truly conserve the wildlife that we love.
Posted by PETA = Ignorance on 5/27/2014 5:35:52 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
The money we pay for tags as well as hunting/fishing licences goes towards the preservation of wetlands and other natural areas needed for the conservation or wildlife such as deer ducks and even coyotes. What does your anti-hunting propaganda and angry internet posts pay for? What do YOU do for the environment? Spend some time in the woods with a true ethical bowhunter and you will learn a REAL respect for nature. Not just your delusional opinions. GREAT JOB GIRLS. I HOPE MY DAUGHTER DOES AS WELL AS YOU!!!!
Posted by chris tower on 5/27/2014 7:33:33 PM
I'm anti-anti hunter
Posted by Rustler of all on 5/27/2014 10:03:48 PM
Way to go girls! Keep up the good work! 😃
Posted by jessica on 5/28/2014 6:35:54 AM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
congrats on your awesome hunt and may you have many more. I hope you and my children and their kids have a full life of being able to enjoy and experience hunting such as i have
Posted by Richard L on 5/28/2014 7:13:53 AM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
congratulations kiddo! it's great to see the youth movement advancing toward greatness!
Posted by deb byrge on 5/28/2014 7:38:40 AM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Kill all the yotes you can. Except the ones that like to eat those little flamer PETA people...let those fruits cuddle up with them
Posted by Jake on 5/28/2014 9:06:34 AM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, by the way did I tell you Awesome. Please don't think you ever have to apologize for being a hunter. Congratulations on your harvest. A big thank you goes out to your dad for sharing his love for the outdoors with you and your sister.
Posted by davis on 5/28/2014 9:36:17 AM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Great Job! You should be proud! Got my hubs coyote shoulder mount. Sure looks nice on the wall. ;)
Posted by Cindy on 5/28/2014 11:47:10 AM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
Congrats on doing it right! I cannot count the number of times that hunting kept me out of crime, drugs, and a downward spiral. I was too fearful of losing my hunting to get into anything bad and it taught me respect for all living things. My boys love to hunt too and it is a positive influence in their lives.
Posted by grizz on 5/28/2014 12:30:43 PM
HUNT ON!!
Posted by KO on 5/28/2014 7:05:52 PM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
I really enjoyed this article. Even for myself, I feel I'm a seasoned hunter but in 2012 I was shot while hunting. I have returned to my roots...bow hunting! It is a blast! Thanks for the read! If your interested in reading my story: http://huntingmusthaves.com/2014/05/30/ive-been-shot-part-2-warning-graphic-photos/ Thanks!
Posted by tyler on 6/2/2014 1:16:50 AM
Re: First Crossbow, First Coyote #
These killers believe they have to hunt and kill animals to survive, act as if they are living in the Daniel Boone Days. They have to kill animals, yet they have cell phones, drive to the sight in 4 wheel drive, have all this high tech equipment, yet the animals have nothing to defend themselves. This is not a sport, as a sport is fair and honest, and the others side knows it is in a contest, like a sport should be...this is nothing but a massacre.
Posted by s.p. on 5/24/2014 9:25:41 PM
The community has deemed this comment unworthy. View Anyway

Leave Comments

Subject:
Name:
Url: (Optional)
Reply:

Cheyenne, WY
Searching Outfitter & Guide directory...
Bowhunt or Die