Ted Nugent….Again!

Theodore Anthony “Ted” Nugent – born 1948 the son of a strict Army’s staff sergeant, long-time rock-n-roller, staunch conservative, father to eight children (three out of wedlock), partner in two marriages, portion to October 2000 Spin magazine’s “100 Sleaziest Moments in Rock” following a 1978 affair with a 17 year old Hawaii native in which documents were drafted between Nugent and the girl’s parents making him her legal guardian (as she was too young to marry), anti-drug and alcohol crusader, staunch gun-rights advocate and unquestionable patriot, NRA spokesman, professed regular churchgoer, frequent television talk-show guest and bowhunting celebrity — can perhaps be best described as an enigma of the times we live in.

I guess it’s only fair to establish, right up front, I’m not a fervent Ted Nugent fan. His music, somehow, doesn’t quite do it for me, though I must qualify that by also saying I find country western and rap music (most ‘80s and ‘90s pop) grating.  Cat-Scratch Fever, Stranglehold and Dog Eat Dog, Nugent’s biggest hits (I think), somehow blend into a blur of ‘70s monotony; “Fred Bear,” his tribute to an archery icon, as forced as a prepubescent love letter.  But that’s just me. This only partly explains why I’ve always found Nugent’s bowhunting celebrity status a bit mystifying.  His propensity for high-fence arenas (maybe most especially), a lack of standout trophies (relative to other bowhunting notables) doesn’t mark him as a man I’d seek for bowhunting advice. Nothing personal, I just don’t get it is all.  I feel similarly about a good many modern archery luminaries, observing from inside the artfully-orchestrated Oz curtain, wondering just what my awe is supposed to hang on – other than a high acuity for marketing and grandiloquence I’ve long envied as something lacking in my own efforts.

NUG 4

In addition to his music, Ted Nugent occupy’s an additional “Public Stage”.

Perhaps he’s simply a symptom of our current societal funk, lacking as we do real heroes such as Fred Bear, Howard Hill or Ben Pearson, men who managed to slickly promote themselves, and more importantly bowhunting, without the appearance of blatant whoring to the highest bidder.Then, of course, there are Nugent’s recent troubles with game and fish authorities in two states.  I generally view sanctimonious letters and e-mail posts to magazines and on-line forums regarding such matters with bored sighs, invectives owning the predictable redundancy of sentimental drunks.  In the August 2012 issue of Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Nugent, explaining his recent troubles in California and Alaska, calls the violations unjust, furthermore saying he has been politically targeted because of his standing in the hunting industry.  From the outside looking in this could easily be attributed as another aspect of Nugent’s notorious megalomania.  But sadly, in these highly-polarized times, Nugent just might be speaking the truth.  Unlike eastern-tier states (where insanely generous bag limits and give-away tags, multi-month season dates and two-species venues mean you’d have to resort to the most obvious forms of malfeasances to warrant citation), western game laws are chockablock with vague gray areas, ill-formed legal parameters and overlapping, multi-species season dates.  And while it’s not considered PC to utter aloud, game and fish departments as an instrument of torture – witnessed through guilty-until-proven-innocent outlooks, jealousy-inspired witch hunts, blatant abuses of power via rubber-stamped search warrants and absolute disregard for legal procedures – is a common theme in the Wild West. More pointedly, garner the smallest sliver of outdoor limelight and violations normally indicating a warning – if not total disregard – when applied to the general population are pursued with rabid intensity.  Our court system being what it is, nolo contendere quickly gains appeal contrasted against legal fees well in excess of the misdemeanor fine(s) in question, and altogether avoiding the annoyance of our sham legal system, seemingly evolved merely to fund our superfluous lawyers, prosecutors routinely disposed to piling on 28 flimsy charges to any core violation so each must be examined in turn at minimum $300 an hour…

NUG 3

Are high profile hunters subject to more scrutiny than the rest of the hunting population?

Just the suspicion of guilt is very costly in 21st Century America, and being part of the hook-and-bullet apparatus seems the only provocation a certain type of conservation officer needs to warrant a brand of scorn normally reserved only for outfitters and their non-resident clients.So without reservations I absolutely emphasize with Nugent in these matters.More recently Nugent had the Mainstream Liberal Media (MLM) frothing at the mouth following comments made during the National Rifle Association’s annual meeting in St. Louis, Missouri, in late May.  Almost too predictably the MLM translated an impassioned rocker-speak rant into direct threats to their newest messiah.  An obviously intelligent man, Nugent nonetheless exhibits talents for incoherent, curse-filled diatribes, making him a popular interview subject – if not for the reasons he likely believes.

These outbursts are easily attributed to Nugent’s aforementioned ego and perhaps the need to maintain a “Motor City Madman” rock-star image. Love him or hate him – as so many lines begin when Nugent is under discussion – there are some inescapable truths here.  It was a foregone conclusion Nugent would receive a free pass — from the hunting industry at least — regarding the incident, because the industry (and NRA executives, apparently) believe we need him.  Perhaps this is true.  Rock-star status, minor appearances in cinema and popular television programming, does grant him access to mainstream outlets (“Larry King Live,” “The Howard Stern Show” and “Politically Incorrect” a partial list of recent venues) any other spokesman of the hunting industry would be automatically denied – because, as liberals who don’t believe in God, MLM worship celebrities and politicians instead.

The trouble with Nugent – not a unique or recent revelation – is his propensity to say things aloud, and in such a way, that the MLM is able to run with in shrieking, knee-jerk hysteria as proof those he proposes to represent en todo – the American hunter and gun owner – are all bumptious, foul-mouthed, gun-happy crazies. Now don’t get me wrong, a B. Hassan Obama fan I’m certainly not.  The thought of another term of BHO and his gang of Marxists czars sends a real shiver down my spine.  And it’s not gun ownership that worries me most, in the face of the largest attack on Constitutional rights and most open advancement of wealth redistribution yet attempted, but it’s right up there.  Any thinking hunter and/or gun owner doesn’t have to dig too deeply to understand Democrats – very rarely “moderate Republicans” (a MLM term by the way, which translated by sentient humans means “Democrat”) have been responsible for every anti-gun law ever proposed or enacted in the history of this nation.  To believe otherwise is a real exercise in denial.

NUG 1

In your face……that is the popular image that follows Ted Nugent. Is it good or bad for bowhunting?

Mitt Romney voted for the Brady Bill, and “Romneycare” (and pro-abortion laws, which he later reversed his views on), but did so as a Republican occupying the governor’s seat of arguably the most socialist state in the Union (Taxachusetts) – where he also managed to balance a budget resembling our current national crisis but on a state-sized scale (also created by liberal Democrats).  At best Romney’s a middle-of-the-road Republican, at worst a “moderate”; like Bush I and II.  In other words, compared to a far-left (dangerous lame-duck) socialist bent on destroying everything our country stands for, Romney’s the easy choice.

So, quite unsurprisingly, when Nugent claimed he’d “be dead or in jail by this time next year” and used language such as “chop their heads off,” of course the MLM used it to make normal, garden-variety hunters appear as kooks.  The Secret Service was dispatched for a friendly chat, at God only knows what cost to American taxpayers, leaving a good many outdoorsmen pleading, “For the love of God Uncle Ted, could you maybe tone it down a tad?”

NUG 2

For all of the bad things you can dig up concerning Ted Nugent, there are purhaps just as many good things too. Especially when it comes to the message he preaches (and lives by) to the youth.

But I gladly give credit where credit’s due.  Nugent’s steadfast stance against drug and alcohol abuse is highly commendable, perhaps even “brave,” considering his primary occupation.  It’s perhaps his most important talking point, more potent coming from a guitar hero living inside the world of sex, drugs and rock-n-roll.  Nugent’s also a long-time ambassador of Big Brother Big Sisters, operates the Ted Nugent Kamp for Kids — a venue annually introducing gaggles of youngsters to outdoor activities such as archery, shooting (air guns), fishing, trapping, survival and first aid.  Nugent, a staunch supporter of our US troops, is a regular on USO tours traveling around the globe to entertain our fighting men and women; his wife, Shemane, founder of the non-profit charitable foundation Freedom’s Angels, working to enhance the lives of America’s military personnel and their families.  These are only highlights.

I remain neutral in my views of Nugent.  I certainly respect the man, what he is able to do for us as hunters and gun owners, and agree with him wholeheartedly on most political points.  But…  I find myself cringing all too often, as I did while viewing his NRA speech, am a bit put off by his siphoning money off the industry via product endorsements (does a successful rocker – or other millionaire bowhunters — really need free gear?).  But again – that’s just me.  Love him or hate him…well, you know…

Comments

1. steve seelman says:

gotta love uncle teds spirit wild baby !!!!! if it wasnt for his common sense teaching in his hunting shows ,,, i dont believe my kids would be actively involved !!!! — terrible the way hunters/sports writers- attack other hunters that dont do it they way they think it should be done !!!!! get out in the woods and enjoy,,, godbless the nuge !!!!

2. I believe Ted is making the hunting world look bad with the two fines in two states!! Very disappointed in him for that, and I believe the trophy is in the eye of the beholder or in this case hunter, but I agree, I wouldn't shoot over 95% of the animals he harvests behind a high fence anyway!! I still agree with Ted's gun enthusiasm but his hunting is something less to be desired!!!!

3. www.cellairis.com says:

True, so true! Opening day is right around the corner and i'm just as pumped about it this season as I have been for the last 10 seasons except this year i'm after a trophy that slipped through the cracks last year. This season he's mine. I even got a new camo iphone 4 case in hopes that it will bring me good luck. We shall see!

Thanks for the post! I look forward to reading more!

4. FatChop says:

Last time I will have anything to do with Bowhunting.com. Despicable article- how about your next one is all about you and how perfect you are?

5. Meitinblows says:

Lack of trophies? How about the one in the picture above. And unlike nose in the air writers like you, a trophy to me is a great time spent with my family and friends and some straps on the grill. A doe skillfully shot is a trophy to me, so shove this high and mighty BS.

6. Meitinsmallpenis says:

After this article, I predict Meitin's next job will be for the Northern Canada Sunday Classified circular. That's where this kind of drivel belongs, and even the Canucks would hate it.

7. So you like him because he doesn't do drugs. But you don't like him due to high fence hunting. But you like the fact that he promotes gun ownership. But you don't like his music. Up, down, up, down….

This blog reads like a grade 7 student's English project biography.

8. Ted's the man,

9. Ted does more for our hunting/shooting/trapping rights than anyone. To slam him with hate and lies is what the left is all about, and sadly this article too.

10. Steve R says:

It's Sad that a man thats done so many things for your gun and hunting right's get articles against him such as yours. Remember when the Kenyan and his staff come after your gun rights that Teds on the frontline fighting like a mad man for you and I and any other pro-gun and pro-hunting American. Your a good writer I encourage you to get behind any pro-hunting and pro-gun warrior like Ted instead of this type of controversial nonsence.

11. timothy landy says:

Really!!!..Wake the F-up,,Ted Nugent has done more for our soldiers,charities,and has always been honest with his opinions and backs what he says!!..His MUSIC"" WOW!!""..so what Ted where you talking about?

12. SwivelBucketShooter says:

Ted Nugent does more good for the hunting,fishing,trapping lifestyle in one day than most due in a lifetime…he promotes while you choose to mock and ridicule…typical Saul Alinsky tactic…so sad

13. Jeff Christensen says:

Ted Nugent has done more for hunters and hunting in my lifetime than anyone I can name.

I've been working public outreach on behalf of the hunting community for well over a decade. I have [quite literally] had 1000's of face to face contacts and discussions about hunters and hunting with the non-hunting public. Not once has anyone said they thought hunters we bad people because of Ted Nugent. Not ever.

One of the top things the non-hunting sneer at (and this should interest you "accomplished bone-collector" types) is "trophy hunting." They absolutely despise "that kind of hunter." They associate all kinds of evil ugliness with "trophy hunting." Seriously, you are at the top of their list while Nugent isn’t even on their radar when it comes to "bad perceptions of hunting."

They funny thing is (to you maybe, not me) is how they perceive Ted to be a caring hunter that utilizes every part of the animals he kills, eats what he kills and cares about the environment.

Ted Nugent reaches

14. yea, your article is your opinion and you deserve to have that. but it really shows your ignorance

15. Jeff Christensen says:

Ted Nugent reaches well beyond the choir in a fun, entertaining way every single day. Through TV and radio, he is a positive hunting PR machine reaching countless millions with the good message of hunting, archery, shooting and conservation. He promotes it all non-stop; doing so is part of his DNA. This is something people like you should be doing rather than cannibalizing your own – And that is exactly what you are doing here.

There are many problems facing us as hunters these days, not the least of which is that hunters would rather point holier than thou, accusatory fingers at each other than do something meaningful like reach out to the non-hunting public and teach them the truth about hunting and the hunting conservationist.

16. Jeff Christensen says:

Now, if my tone comes across as being angry, it is because I could *not* be more tired of petty whining about Ted Nugent the "over the top RnR showman" hunter when there is so much good that needs to be done on behalf of hunting. We should support those who do put themselves out there for us, not look for reasons to tear them down.

Ted Nugent is a good man and an asset to the hunting community. I am 100% sure of it. But I'm not quite sure about you at the moment.

17. Pat….After seeing you on D

18. You say you remain neutral on Nugent,but what you write shows how untrue that is. Grow up and stand up for our rights just as Ted has and will.What I thought was going to a positive write up turned out to be the same drivel as other haters of our sport put out.

19. Rob Olson says:

In your last paragraph you say "I find myself cringing too often . . . . . . . . " TED NUGENT surely does more in 1 day to promote hunting/shooting/trapping than most will do in 99 lifetimes. So CRINGE AWAY ! it is full steam ahead for the NUGENT freight train . . .

20. your FIRED!!

21. I wish the antis argued like we hunters do.If we don't soon all stand together we will surely lose our hunting rights altogether.When that happens it will be our fault,not the antis!Ted does more to promote the hunting,trapping,fishing, outdoor lifestyle than anyone else I can think of.If you don't like high fence hunting don't do it,but to criticize Ted for doing just feeds the antis fire.Make sure you post this article on petas website so they know who's on their team

22. Rickyrebar says:

I'd follow Sir master Uncle Theodore through the bloody gates of hell! For all of the reasons you're sniveling about!
    Grow some nuts!

23. Steve Holmes says:

Shame on you! I cannot believe what you just said about the Man who has done more for Hunting

24. Steve Holmes says:

Shame on you! I cannot believe what you just said about the Man who has done more for our Hunting

25. Andreww5001 says:

I request that you delete this article. You attack a man on an occupational, moral, and political level all in the same two pages. I think you ought to be writing about scouting for rub lines or setting up mock scrapes (and post many of your eluded to giant trophies) to help us in the field. Write about bow hunting and not tear down others regardless of your distaste for them or their past failures.

26. Keith Gilmer says:

Dude, I think your jealous. Lack of suitable trophies, your insane. It's all about the hunt, and the back strap. You can keep your trophies. I'll hunt with Ted.

27. Justin Zarr says:

Guys – you need to remember this article is only the opinion of the author, and not necessarily this website. Also, please be sure to read the article in it's entirety before passing judgment. While Pat does highlight some of Uncle Ted's more well-known flaws, he also does a good job of highlighting a lot of the great work he does for children and our troops as well. To each their own when it comes to their opinion of Uncle Ted. Love him or hate him, you cannot deny that he puts the rights and interests of hunters in the public spotlight more than any other person in today's modern media society, and that's worth more than his weight in Zebra printed arrows.

28. Rick Schnase says:

Man, I don't even know where to begin. First, let me correct one of your untruths about Romney- he never voted for any Brady Bill. He was Governor, Governors don't vote. He signed an NRA backed gun control bill that actually eased many gun regs in MA.

On to Nugent….You make a lot better case to support Ted and be a fan of his than you do otherwise. I consider all of my kills trophies. I'm sure Nugent has genuine love for his children, and the gals he was married to as well. I don't really think anyone in America is so holier than thou that they would show such disdain for a man who has raised such a gang of great kids in today's world. To attack this man personally because you don't like his style of hunting or verbal delivery tells us more about you than it does him. Personally, I believe the world needs more whistle blowers to educate the masses on ridiculous hunting regulations that vary so vastly from state to state as well as the political idiocies he makes the public a

29. Trophies? Ted Nugent has sent over a ton of venison to out troops overseas.

Dukester.

30. Rob Olson says:

Thank you for taking 2 pages to say … absolutely nothing …
    Your words were about as useful as having a rolled up newspaper to defend yourself against an armed thug. next !

31. Truth On Anyway says:

Too funny that the megalomaniac known as Ted Nugent has to instruct his paying minions from his harem(message board) to come

32. Truth On Anyway says:

33. Nugent Rocks! On all fronts. You need to keep your comments to yourself. Educate yourself next time before you stick your foot in your mouth. Nugent promotes an honorable and natural lifestyle. He helps the less fortunate more each day than you will in a lifetime. Crawl back under your rock.

34. Richard Bland says:

Ted isn't the enemy of America, you are!

35. Pele Massa says:

What do you mean? There is no liberal media, not even NPR.

36. Truth On Anyway says:

37. Steve Holmes says:

Hey Anonymous, The people from Ted's message board are the Greatest, Hardworking people on the planet. People that are in the Asset Colum. I don't need instruction to come here

38. W J McEvilly says:

Slow news week in the editoral department? Go pick a real world issue to knock around. Trust me, I was being nice.gu

39. Brian R. Barton says:

Ted Nugent I know, who are you? Patrick who?
    …….Get a clue, Ted IS the most influential force in hunting today. Please curb your jealousy.

40. What was the point of this article Patrick??? Even if you weren’t picking on one of my favorite blood brothers of all time, your article would still suck. What Todd C above said and pretty much everyone else too. Justin, I did read the entire article, it still sucks. I think that you need to read the whole thing. Worthless and very disappointing!

41. Justin Zarr says:

First – what's wrong with being biased about a very controversial person in the public eye? Wouldn't you say those who blindly support Ted despite some of his past transgressions are just as biased, but in the other direction? Second, how does any of this support the anti's? Are we no longer allowed to have an opinion of someone or speak our mind for fear of the anti-hunters? Come on now, let's get real. Patrick Meitin is hardly the only hunter who shares these views, he's just the only one with the guts to actually say them.

Personally, I love Ted's enthusiasm and what he represents. I wish he would represent himself in a different manner sometimes, but I guess that's what makes Ted, Ted. Without the crazy antics nobody would really care what he thinks. Kind of like the kids on Jersey Shore.

Cab's here!

42. I don't agree with using this dirtbags name anywhere close to the word "hero". A staunch draft dodger who determined his own life was more important than anyone else's, I wouldn't waste my urine on him if he was on fire. Ted only does things if he feels he can get publicity out of it. When he feels cameras haven't been on him in too long of a time, he'll pull another theatrical stunt to get his name back in the news.

43. For those of you that are always screaming "Ted for President"……..Sounds like he'd fit right in there with the rest of the politicians. But there must be a reason or 20 why he has never run for office. Skeletons maybe??

44. Chad barrett says:

I won't be supporting bowhunting.com anymore until this article

45. Hey you really suck as a writer. Very boring. Ted does more for hunting that you do for journalism. get a real job or spray some doe piss on yourself during the rut.

46. Birchwood Bowhunter says:

Shocked that Bowhunting.com would allow such a biased pathetic excuse of a journalist to publish this article on their site. Keep spoon feeding the anti's their material.

47. Chad barrett says:

I wont be supporting bowhunting.com anymore until this article

48. Chad barrett says:

I wont be supporting bowhunting.com anymore until this article

49. Dude u are jealous. But thats ok uncle Ted forgives u

50. Jason Mathis says:

Bowhunting.com should be ashamed to have let this article be on there website.

51. Steve Flores says:

I have to say I agree with Justin. To think that Mr. Meitin is somehow the only individual that feels this way abot Mr. Nugent is absurd. I think the point Mr. Meitin was trying to make was that Mr. Nugent sometimes says and does things that makes even his strongest supporters "cringe". Is that good or bad for the sport? Does it hurt us or help us? Do the good deeds overshadow the sometimes bad decissions? Those are the questions at hand. If you support Ted that's great. But, I think it would be better to defend him by sharing examples of the good things he has done for our sport, rather than tear down Mr. Meitin for simply having the guts to share his opinion….even if it does come across as anti-Ted. Mr. Nugent definately has a unique style and he has done so much to defend our sport and way of life, but he is not perfect in the sense that he doesn't say or do the wrong things from time to time. The point is, when he does stray, how much damage (if any) does it cause?

52. i bet if he shot a mathews with the nap (knock off rages) and used lone wolf stands you would not have wrote this.why not talk about the other pros gut shooters that make hunters look real bad you have one as the background on the forums lee and his wife.

53. Steve Flores says:

Sam, I appreciate your opinion but you should understand that Mr. Meitin is a freelance outdoor writer. His writing, views or otherwise, are not limited to, nor influenced by, companies that sponsor Bowhunting.com.

54. For someone who speaks out and does so much for gun rights and hunting rights, bowhunting.com should remove this article. What does Ted's past have anything to do with hunting or gun rights, he speaks out and defends these rights. What have you done to support these rights Mr. Meiten? This article is most certainly a disservice to hunters.

55. I feel the same way about those who over use two-part, hyphenated descriptors to over-sensualize their overtly pejorative and especially annoying writing abilities to dishonor an American icon.

We use compound bows, not compound sentences. If you'll get off your high-horse, and run with the boys, you'll probably find Nugent not so annoying. : -)

56. okay guys we need to look at the way we make ourselves look when we turn on and bash another hunter? he neither of these men went out to stop all hunting or to end firearm ownership. Patrick was just trying to highlight some of the great things uncle ted does along with some of the things that could be taken the wrong way. personally i grew up wanting to be like Ted, and nobody will talk badly of hunters for the way we say "whack em and stack em" for some of us this is reality it takes alot to feed a family or a whole crew of hunters. Now as hunters we are all the same to those who dislike our choices, a trophy to me is any animal i take and especially one that i can help a future generation of hunter take. there is no need to bash a man for doing his job he didnt write a slander article about our beloved ted he was trying to help the less informed hunters understand why some of these things are just a different way of doing things. personally id hunt with ted any chance i had he is a

57. i would NEVER speak badly of this american icon he is a man to be idolized especially what he does to keep the hunting tradition going in the future, uncle ted has been critizided for doing what many of us do everyday that is talking about his passion and trying to share it with others.

58. The Butcher says:

watched the nuge on the pigman's season premere. they shot over 250 hogs off of a ranch in texas out of a chopper. talk about whack em and stack em! i hear he also was responsible for making that legal down there… The beast is dead ever more, I think he met ol Theodore.

59. I'm with Justin and Riley. Freedom of speech and expression of opinion is important to us all. That includes listening and discussing issues (Hopefully in a civil manner). I will remain a visitor of bowhunting.com as I am sure many others will. We all have our ups and downs.

60. you are a complete idiot! this has got to be the worst thing ive ever read. thank you for the 5 minutes it took me to read this. ill never get it back. how the hell did you get a job writing on a hunting web page? Go get a job at the New yorker were peaple will listen to your worthless crap. I cant say this to many time you are trash!!!! I cant belive you acually said he doesent shhot big deer!! have you hunted one day in your hole life? Good lord! Move on loser!

61. Darton8 says:

I'm kind of shocked most of the time I'm usally one of the very few that stand up for Ted in these forums and blogs.His pro-gun,pro-hunting,his support for our troops and the way helps raise money for many great charities.Everyone likes to pick at man I can not think of a louder voice that promotes for Small goverment,pro-voting,pro-gun,pro-hunting,pro-America

62. This writer is an idiot and i question whether we should listen to him.

63. not a BHO fan, but he has reversed 7 on the book laws and repeatedly said we dont need new firearm regulation just enforcement. Mitt has repeatedly said "corporations are people too" as well as sponsoring a bill to "redefine rape" and shipped good peoples jobs overseas…. yeah he is the clear choice all right

64. Wag Dodge says:

I know who Ted is……who is this Patrick? Sure the 1A applies, but if this site is dedicated to tearing down other hunters guess this new visitor will be pushing on. This bone hunting trophy collector can go pound salt, his article sucks……maybe that's what this site wants…..more hits via train wreck……not my taste.

The Nuge can take care of himself, think i'll find somewhere else to waste my time.

65. gunslingr45 says:

Get off Uncle Ted and get a life.

66. This guy is an idiot please delete the article and fire his ass