Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods?

Posted by: Bowhunting Contributor on Oct 21, 2012
Page 3 of 3

Sharing the Woods
So can archers and gun hunters share the woods in a single season?  Absolutely! Consider the setup for bowhunters versus rifle hunters.  Rifle hunters will typically be on the edge of wide open places with room to roam.  Bowhunters, on the other hand, can often be found tucked into tight places, close to cover and bedding areas.  Famous outdoor writer Bill Winke says, “I can understand that some gun hunters want to keep the number of hunters down during their season, but I doubt the bowhunters impact their hunting much as the strategy is so much different.  They aren’t really competing for the same setups.”  Winke also says, “In some states the rut takes place during the firearms season and in those states bowhunting can be tough outside of the rut, so having access to that season with a bow is a definite advantage for bowhunters. “

The Way It Was
My buddy, Troy Ruiz, reminds us, “When our forefathers walked this earth with the Indians there were 2 means of taking game for consumption…bow and arrow and Flint Lock.  For me, either way, dead is dead and meat is meat.  Why can't firearm hunters and bow hunters share the same passion at the same time as long as all the safety requirements are met?  If we judge one versus the other, then we’re picking sides.”

bg4

As fellow hunters we should unite with one another rather than pick sides over the weapons we use.......shouldn't we?

Conclusion
In the woods, back at camp, or on the streets, hunters must work towards being united.  Shame on us for allowing our thoughts on a compound bow, longbow, crossbow, recurve, or rifle being superior to another.  Such views and opinions will divide us and tear down the tradition of hunting we cherish.  I want to see more hunters in the woods.  I want to see new hunters in the woods.  I want my children…and their children…to continue to have ample opportunities to hit the woods with the weapon of their choice for many seasons to come.  We must share the woods…we must share the passion. What do you think? Let us know your feelings on this topic.

Brodie Swisher is a world champion game caller, outdoor writer, and seminar speaker.  Check out his websites at www.realitybowhunting.com and www.brooutdoors.com.

Sign up for the BH logo Bowhunter's Alert:

9 Comments on "Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods?"

Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
Absolutely should be allowed during rifle season. As long as the regulations are that you were your orange. Won't catch me out in the woods during rifle season without orange even if I'm just going out to check cameras on private land where there isn't supposed to be anybody else. My dad makes fun of me. Last year I went out during rifle season with my bow probably will again this year. I love rifles but the bow just feels right and the kill is much more satisfying.
Posted by frantic29 on 10/22/2012 4:26:58 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
What is your opinion on muzzle loader coming in the middle of archery season as it does in PA? I don't know how many other states this applies to.
Posted by CSwo777 on 10/22/2012 10:40:54 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
To get so close to a deer just makes your heart race and there is no better feeling in the world than to get a white-tailed deer with a bow. i use a browning backdraft and its my first year using it. i went out sunday and shot a nice 6 point buck at 30 yards no problem
Posted by ronald picken on 10/22/2012 11:08:56 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
Bow or Gun, hunting is about getting out into the woods and becoming one with mother nature and sharing the passion of hunting and the outdoors with our loved ones. Not to mention escaping the real world (wives) for a few hours!
Posted by Nick on 10/24/2012 12:26:26 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
How could using a bow during gun season be considered unfair? If you choose to handicap yourself, then it's your choice. Laws permitting, hunt with whatever you want, whenever you want. I personally like the different types of challenges that each type of weapon presents. While there's nothing like trying to come to full draw on a buck @ 15 paces, there's also a sense of pride and satisfaction in centering a 3x9 scope behind the shoulder of a buck at 200 yards and making a perfect shot. For me, ones not better than the other- just different. I'll be hunting with a .44 revolver for the first time ever this year as well. A whole new challenge.
Posted by dnoodles on 10/25/2012 10:20:26 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
During the gun season if a person has the skill to get close enough to his pray then by all means they should be able to pick their weapon. During Bow season which usually starts before gun season Deer are not usually too alarmed and allow a hunter to get close. This is a time to leave guns including Muzzle Loaders at home.
Posted by Ron on 10/26/2012 2:33:15 AM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
I feel that just being in the woods out in nature is what its all about. Gun or bow. I do believe that bow hunting is more exciting and more fulfilling. Regardless though of what method used, hunting can be enjoyed by any means of weaponry.
Posted by benhunting341 on 11/12/2012 9:34:46 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
I prefer to hunt with my bow; however, i really dont care what others hunt with, throw knives for all i care.
Posted by Johngray on 11/23/2012 4:33:29 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
What about handgun hunters? Our range isn't necessarily all that much longer than a bow, so we'd also have to get nice and close.
Posted by Rob on 11/25/2012 6:58:42 PM

Leave Comments

Subject:
Name:
Url: (Optional)
Reply:

Garden Prairie, IL
Searching Outfitter & Guide directory...
Bowhunt or Die