Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods?

Posted by: Bowhunting Contributor on Oct 21, 2012
Page 2 of 3

Lacking Logic
When I first encountered this question, I’ll admit, it was difficult for me not to pounce on the obvious answer that best relates to the way I choose to hunt.  I tried to think about the pros and cons of such a decision.  How would such a ruling help or hurt either party?  However, the glaring issue that continued to surface was the question of “what is to be gained by such a decision”?

Many firearm opportunities around the country coincide with the whitetail rut.  And while there are plenty of diehard bowhunters that are committed to hunting strictly with their bow, there are countless others that, if required to make a choice, would lay down the archery gear and join the ranks of the rifle hunters during the rut to increase their odds of scoring on their trophy or putting meat in the freezer.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but as a rifle hunter, wouldn’t you be at more of an advantage if you had bow-packin’ hunters in the woods with you as opposed to rifle hunters?
Mike Ellig, owner of Black Gold Sights, says, “It is purely an issue of jealously when a person has a problem with a bowhunter out hunting during rifle season.  If you don’t like bowhunters out during gun season, you are saying, ‘the same guy can sit in the same stand with a high powered rifle, but I don’t want to see him there with a bow’.  This defies logic.  You should always be allowed to hunt with a more primitive weapon than what the current season states.  Who the heck should care if I choose to use a less effective weapon than what the law allows?  Same goes for muzzleloaders as well.

bg3

Few things are as rewarding as bowhunting success during the whitetail rut...even if you do have to wear an orange vest.

If you want a greater challenge by having a weapon that isn’t as effective as what the law allows, go for it!  Anybody with any common sense should love it if guys choose a bow over a gun during a gun season.  Look at it this way, if you were a gun hunter and everyone except you decided to hunt with a bow during the gun season, don’t you think that would be giving you a great advantage?  These guys should love it when a person chooses a weapon that is good to forty yards instead of 400.  It just means there will be more game out there for them!”

Management in Tight Places
One would also have to consider the effects of eliminating archery opportunities in areas that are not suitable for rifle hunting.  Let’s face it.  Some of the best deer hunting opportunities out there can be found in the small pockets and tracts of land close to homes and highways.  Big bucks and countless does make these honey-holes their homes, and the results can often be increased vehicle collisions…and the death of many of grandma’s flowers and garden veggies.  These deer need managed as well.  And archery equipment is the only safe and effective way to do so.

My friend and fellow bowhunter, Amy Sawyer, lives in Idaho where hunters have an “A tag” for archery season and a “B tag” for rifle season.  Amy says, “I hunt with both bow and rifle.  It just depends on where I am going and the mood I’m in.  I prefer archery and like the extra challenge.  Plus a lot of landowners will allow archery hunting, but will not allow a rifle to be shot on their property.  That gives me and the kids an advantage to some prime spots where rifle hunting is not allowed.”

bg2

Sharing my passion for bowhunting with my son, Aidan, is something I consider priceless.

Across the plains and much of the west, river-bottom units and lands where whitetail deer herds thrive are often open only to archery equipment due to safety requirements.  These lands must be managed properly…and archery equipment is the means by which to make it happen.

Continue To Next Page ...

Sign up for the BH logo Bowhunter's Alert:

9 Comments on "Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods?"

Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
Absolutely should be allowed during rifle season. As long as the regulations are that you were your orange. Won't catch me out in the woods during rifle season without orange even if I'm just going out to check cameras on private land where there isn't supposed to be anybody else. My dad makes fun of me. Last year I went out during rifle season with my bow probably will again this year. I love rifles but the bow just feels right and the kill is much more satisfying.
Posted by frantic29 on 10/22/2012 4:26:58 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
What is your opinion on muzzle loader coming in the middle of archery season as it does in PA? I don't know how many other states this applies to.
Posted by CSwo777 on 10/22/2012 10:40:54 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
To get so close to a deer just makes your heart race and there is no better feeling in the world than to get a white-tailed deer with a bow. i use a browning backdraft and its my first year using it. i went out sunday and shot a nice 6 point buck at 30 yards no problem
Posted by ronald picken on 10/22/2012 11:08:56 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
Bow or Gun, hunting is about getting out into the woods and becoming one with mother nature and sharing the passion of hunting and the outdoors with our loved ones. Not to mention escaping the real world (wives) for a few hours!
Posted by Nick on 10/24/2012 12:26:26 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
How could using a bow during gun season be considered unfair? If you choose to handicap yourself, then it's your choice. Laws permitting, hunt with whatever you want, whenever you want. I personally like the different types of challenges that each type of weapon presents. While there's nothing like trying to come to full draw on a buck @ 15 paces, there's also a sense of pride and satisfaction in centering a 3x9 scope behind the shoulder of a buck at 200 yards and making a perfect shot. For me, ones not better than the other- just different. I'll be hunting with a .44 revolver for the first time ever this year as well. A whole new challenge.
Posted by dnoodles on 10/25/2012 10:20:26 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
During the gun season if a person has the skill to get close enough to his pray then by all means they should be able to pick their weapon. During Bow season which usually starts before gun season Deer are not usually too alarmed and allow a hunter to get close. This is a time to leave guns including Muzzle Loaders at home.
Posted by Ron on 10/26/2012 2:33:15 AM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
I feel that just being in the woods out in nature is what its all about. Gun or bow. I do believe that bow hunting is more exciting and more fulfilling. Regardless though of what method used, hunting can be enjoyed by any means of weaponry.
Posted by benhunting341 on 11/12/2012 9:34:46 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
I prefer to hunt with my bow; however, i really dont care what others hunt with, throw knives for all i care.
Posted by Johngray on 11/23/2012 4:33:29 PM
Re: Bow or Gun....Should We Share The Woods? #
What about handgun hunters? Our range isn't necessarily all that much longer than a bow, so we'd also have to get nice and close.
Posted by Rob on 11/25/2012 6:58:42 PM

Leave Comments

Subject:
Name:
Url: (Optional)
Reply:

Russell, MB
Searching Outfitter & Guide directory...
Bowhunt or Die