New Bowhunting Gear for 2016

Whitetail Doe shot in the Head. A reminder to Hunters.

There is little arguing that whitetail deer are among the most celebrated and hunted animals on the planet. But is it really a wonder as to why they are?

We don’t think so. After all, they cover much of the North American continent, grow unique antler configurations, and taste really good in between a couple hamburger buns that sit next to an eight inch piece of sweet corn. Mmmmmm, the thoughts of summer warm our minds again!

Enough of reminiscing (after all it’s only February), as recently a few trailcam photos have been received by the good staff here at Bowhunting.Com. They’re images of a lone whitetail doe feeding. However, if one was to look closely, they could clearly see the reason why we thought these photos needed to be made public.

We’re not sure of the hunter’s intentions. And we make no conclusions to why the arrow is where it is, embedded in the head of this lone doe. We understand bad shots can and do happen in the real world of hunting. We’ve been there.

We’re posting these photos with the intentions of only good. A reminder of what we do in life (insert Gladiator theme music) and how it can echo an eternity.

As in… this shotis not… and has never been a high percentage shot. Although it can yield the results desired, it undoubtedly can also end disastrous. And because of this, the hunter who took it and/or had messed it up, sits somewhere tonight, with an empty hamburger bun.

Let’s remember that image. Take the high percentage shot! That broadside shot where the lungs are the only target between you and a happy barbecuing experience this June.

Only you can prevent hamburger bun waste!

Comments

1. That sucks. It makes a guy really feel bad for that deer and hopefully think twice about dumb shots like that .

2. DcTalon says:

Looks to me like a [b]crossbow[/b] bolt…

3. mike willand says:

No hamburger bun wasting for me.

4. Droptizzle says:

I pity the fool that wastes a hamburger bun!

5. I thought crossbow also! If anyone is taking a shot like this, they need their head examined, JUST LIKE SHE DOES NOW!! This is not the shot to even consider! THINK BEFORE SQUEEZING!!!!

6. Hey John Doe.. your absurd. Not to mention you have poor grammer skills. But hey.. we can't be all like Hemingway.. some one has to dig our ditches.

I like the angle the author took. Nice job bowhunting.com. Shoot straight!

7. Hey John Doe, i agree with Jason your RETARDED!!! It is unfortunate that it happened, but she does appear to have recovered for the most part. Worse things happen everyday i.e. killing unborn BABYS!!! We should all use these picture to make a smart ethical shot the next time we're in the woods.

8. Justin Zarr says:

John Doe – first of all, if you're going to leave remarks like that and continue to send emails I would encourage you to be a man and reveal your true identity, not hide behind your keyboard. Secondly, I highly doubt you'll be suing anyone for anything. And finally, this post was made to bring to light a situation that is tragic in hopes that bowhunters will learn from it and NOT encourage or support the type of behaviour that ends in these results. While we may disagree on the fundamentals of hunting in general, rest assured we are in agreeance this these photos are horrible and in no way a reflection of the behavior supported by ethical bowhunters.

9. Eric Matz says:

as bowhunter's we all know bad shots happen. taking bad shots is something an ethical hunter NEVER does, im hoping the person who shot this doe wasn't intending the bolt to end up where it did. john doe….kick rocks f'in pig!

10. john doe is way too vocal, ..but i can understand where these photos could go a long way to hurt bowhunting in general. if the hunter took this shot intentionally, he is not going to be bothered much by being cautioned against taking it again. on the other hand, anti's would love to have this photo to use against us as a group. of course it happens, but we don't have to tell the world about it. sensibilities did not prevail in this instance.

11. Mike E. says:

Am I the only one who thinks that John "DOE' being so adament about the poor shot placed on this 'DOE' may in fact be the culprit of this act so as to promote his or 'her' distorted opinions of us ethical hunters? If it was a deflection or other mistake, step forward and explain what happened. If it was YOU John 'DOE' then your what we call a slob shooter, or a poacher, or an anti but don't ever make the mistake of classifying this person as a Hunter!!!

12. whoever took that shot was an idiot. If you havn't figured out head shots are a no no than you should never be allowed in the woods again…figures, stupid crossbow hunter…do us all a favor and put an arrow through your own head next time.

13. oh, and john doe, you seem like the type of guy who bags his own crap. i'm sure you don't do this to sites with adult content on them, no ethical hunter likes these things happening…so lay off.

14. Steven P says:

I am all about placing ethical shot on deer. At no point have or will I ever attempt a head shot on a deer. Seeing the following instance happen first hand, I am not so quick to judge how shots occured. My father had a huge eight point at 17 yard this past season. Although he was using a shotgun at the time, Had he been using a bow I think the same situation would have occured. At the exact instant that he squeezed the trigger, the buck starting biting at his shoulder. As if he was scratching something. The shot entered the back of the skull and exited right above the nose. So I think we should all take a moment and not judge the hunter, but hope that this was a mistake that couldnt have been avoided. Deer react much faster than humans do. Just watch how much a deer will drop at the sound of a bow releasing an arrow.

15. Brian G. says:

I saw the pictures and almost puked. This doe needs to be found and put down even if its out of season.There is no reason this animal needs to suffer. What an unethical shot. I realise things happen but this is a waste the person who did this needs to have his license taken away. Shame on bowhunting.com for making a joke about empty hamburger buns

16. Perfect example of a why crossbows should not be allowed, a person(not HUNTER)who thinks because I have a crossbow equipped with a scope I can take any kind of shot and be successful. I'm sure there are many more deer in the woods like that this year thanks to the PA Game Commission.

17. Ed M, i agree, I'm in PA as well and detest the new crossbow allowance. if you're elderly or handicapped, fine, other wise, leave the crossgun at home. Cus' you know as well as i do, it was just a bunch of rifle boys going out with crossbows to take advantage of the eraly season. Brian G, I tip my hat to you too, I'm not sure how wise it was for the site to post these pics, even if they were trying to make a point, these anti's don't need any more fuel….hunting opened up new doors for me, i love getting out and being a part of nature and if i can harvest a deer and practice some self sustinance then great!!!

18. Justin Zarr says:

Saying that a person's poor judgement is a result of their choice of weapon is completely ignorant of reality. In fact, it's no different than the anti-firearms groups who blame shooting deaths on guns, and not the people wielding them. People make bad decisions regardless of the weapon they have in their hands, and we all need to do a better job of educating people why not to take these shots rather than simply placing blame an entire segment of hunters.

Additionally, the post was put here to draw attention to the fact that we should all be shunning this type of behavior from any hunter, gun or bow. Yes, some humor was used to lighten the mood but it in no way takes away from the meaning of the post, which has clearly been missed by several people already.

19. i think we all got the point…it's a sensitive topic however. the small population who are anti's have a much larger voice than the large number of people who are indifferent to hunting. not to mention the fact that despite the best intentions of the hunter, so many more things can go wrong in bowhunting, so we are subject to even more flack from anti hunters. we get the humor because i honestly feel we all understand what ethical hunting is, and strive to be ethical hunters ALL of the time. but to an anti hunter thos pics and that passage sent a message that bowhunters would be like "i rendered this animal retarted and handicapped, but who cares cus' my burger buns are empty, dang it all man!" no matter how much you preach about being ethical, bad shots happen and we constantly fight against the perceptions brought on by those results, i just think we need to be really careful about advertising them….

20. Dropshot Archery says:

Why are some of the post up here attacking crossbow hunters? A traditional archer, compound archer, rifle hunter could have done this just as easily! The point is about being a Ethical Hunter and One shot-One kill principal! I could easily blame so many people for what choices are made, but the end result will still be the same! We have to educate hunters in correct Deer management, safety, and about the future of what hunters should be! Let us not point fingers, but point to the direction of the problem and fix it!

21. Jason Darling says:

It seems that hunters are a very opionated group that think their way is right and everyone else's way is wrong… Who's to judge and say that a head shot is unethical, anyway? When I showed up to hunt wild hogs in Texas with my bow, the guides told everyone "if you want to find your pig, shoot it in the head." I had a pig at 15 yards the first night, and dropped it with and arrow through it's ear. Are pigs less of a game animal that it's ok to shoot them in the head, but it's not ok for deer? I've seen cardboard deer targets with the head and neck outlined as vitals, and I'd go out on a limb and say that the head and neck are just as vital to a deer as it's lungs, and I'd also go so far as to say that as many deer are wounded when people were aiming for the lungs as when they were aiming for the head or neck. How many of you have killed deer with an old arrow wound in the chest cavity? Or a leg shot off… I know I have. The point is, bad shots can and will happen,no matter if you have a gun or bow, or which vital area you are aiming at. I'm not saying I aim for a deer's head, or use a crossbow, or bait, or dogs, or shoot yearlings, or anything that you find unethical or unsportsmanlike. I'm just saying that I am sick of everyone thinking they are holier than thou and that everyone else should follow their exact beliefs. Don't break the law, treat the land, the animals and other people with respect.Period. We're hunters. We hunt. Isn't that enough to connect us together instead of divide us with insults and judement? It was an unfortunate ending to a hunt… How many of you have NEVER lost a deer?

22. Rodney B. says:

WOW. Plain and simple: don't take stupid shots and don't complain about crossbow hunting. Hunters should unite and come together as hunters and support one another.

23. tngunowners.com says:

Pingback from tngunowners.com

sportsman like shot…

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked.
If you would like a profile picture, simply register at Gravatar, which works here on Bowhunting.com and across the web.