Covert II Assassin Game Camera

This new product brought to market by Covert Scouting Cameras caught my eye right away.  The Covert II Assassin.  "Covert" is the perfect name for such a camera, it's tiny only 5 1/2" high x 3 1/2" wide x 2 1/4" deep.  It literally fits in the palm of your hand.  I have had numerous game cameras stolen over the years and I could see the benefit of this camera right away.  The ability to hide this camera could really help prevent theft in crowded areas.  If you weren't looking for it one could walk right past without ever noticing it, which is a feature I really like.

The camera has two settings of either 3 megapixel or 5 megapixel picture sizes to go along with a 40' IR flash range.  Unlike most cameras this unit takes 8 AA batteries to power the unit.  The reps of theirs I spoke to claim 1,000's of pictures on a set of batteries with a 1.2 second trigger speed.  If this is true that will be one great feat out of such a small power supply.  With this unit you use the included remote control to program the camera.  I am not so sure that I like this feature.  Making changes to your trail camera "on the fly" would be impossible without the remote control.  You would need to plan ahead of time when you are out in the field to make sure you had the unit's control. I could see this being a problem at times.

Other features of the Covert II Assassin trail camera include: -24 "high intensity" Infrared LED's with a 40' flash range. -Adjustable sensitivity for the PIR motion sensor. -The camera comes with a 2 GB SD memory card.  The unit accepts cards from 8 MB to 2 GB in size. -Adjustable from 1 second to 60 minute delay. -Adjustable from 1 second to 60 second video length. -The case includes a sun / rain shield over the lens and PIR unit. -Industry standards such as locking tabs and a waterproof seal. -1 year limited warranty.

Comments

1. Justin Zarr says:

It's not the size that concerns me, it's getting out to wherever the camera may be and realizing that I either lost or forgot the remote. Assuming I just forgot it, I now have the inconvenience of going back to my truck, or going all the way home to get it. Assuming it's lost, now I have to order a new one and wait several days for it to show up before I can use the camera.

Again, good idea in theory but in practical real-world use, I'm personally not a fan. Keep it simple!!!!!

2. Justin Zarr says:

Looks like a great idea, but the whole remote thing kind of throws me off. I have to carry enough stuff with me into the woods as it is. Having a remote to carry with is just one more thing to remember. And what happens if you lose it? I'm assuming you have to pay to get another one, and in the meantime you have no way to use your camera?

3. JFergus7 says:

That was my thought too but it is so simple to use and with the small size of the camera carrying hte tiny remote is no big deal. But like I mentioned I plan to have one for regular use and will have an extra just in case I need it.

4. I guess a good question would be…once you have it set up the way you like, do you have to have the remote to check the camera for pictures?

I like the smaller unit idea though. Most of the trees that I put my camera on are smaller in diameter and the camera sticks out to any passer by. I will be waiting for your feedback on this one!!

5. JFergus7 says:

This was my favorite item at the show. I spoke in depth with the owner and he will be getting me one to demo. The unit will be packaged in two different ways. First option will be camera and remote control. The second option will be just the camera. This is nice because this will allow you to have many camera's and you only need 1 remote to control them all. If my tests turn out positive I plan to get two units with remote controls and I will leave one in my gear box just in case I need it but have the other for normal use. I will keep everyone updated on the forums once I get to try the unit!

Thanks for the great review Scott!!

6. JFergus7 says:

Scott and I forgot to mention that you will also be able to purchase seperatly a steel security box which should eliminate theft. I just wish they would camo the box.

7. jfergus7 says:

JZ- you and I are going to definetly disagree then. I am a gadget freek so the remote is no bother to me. I agree that if you loose it waiting for another one to come in the mail would be a pain. That is why I will plan to have a couple remotes.

As for viewing the pictures it has a removable SD card that you can drop in a picture viewer. Because of it's small size there is no room for a built in viewer. I discussed the idea with the owner a few different ideas to make viewing easier. I am supposed to talk to him later this week so I will see if he came up with any other ideas.

8. Scott Abbott says:

Fergus

Find out if you need to use the remote when changing cards or if you can just swap cards on the run for me.

9. jfergus7 says:

Yes you can just swap cards on the run. Only need the remote to control the settings when initially programming it.

10. Scott Abbott says:

What about swapping out batteries Fergus?

11. CovertCam says:

I would like to say that once you program the camera, you can just swap the card out without the remote in the field. Remotes can be purchased seperately, but will be reasonably priced.
    The batteries are an easy swap, but the battery life is so great, you'll forget you need to!! If you have a problem or issue just email us from the website. We are working on the new website and will feature a photo gallery and more as time goes on.
    Special thanks to you Scott!!! I am glad we met at the show!

12. Doug Minich says:

Has anyone purchased one of these cameras and tried it in the field? I'm wanting to buy another camera, but I would like to hear from someone who's actually used one.

13. Truck accident says:

Awesome. No one will see it!

14. Addicting Games says:

Cool one .. I want to have that too ^^

15. sexy lingerie says:

almost every day i need to read your Article. so good. Thanks for sharing those valuable information .

16. Has anybody tested the battery life below 40*F?

17. I had the DlC Covert the origional one and i absotuly loved it. Key word LOVED… Had it stolen and am looking at the new style. You dont need to remote to change batteries or to change the sd card. It is by far the best camera out there the batteries last for ever..Also the battery life is great below freezing…….Josh

18. Nokia Unlocked Cell says:

Looking for Nokia Unlocked Cell Phones? Visit Thrifty Computer to explore our Cell Phones section and choose Nokia Unlocked Cell Phones suiting your requirements at affordable rates.

19. Buy Yagara Online says:

Buy Yagara online. View our Yagara information. Learn more about Yagara.

20. gioca a poker online says:

That’s an excellent idea. One technique I was taught years ago is to make your article a letter to a friend. It makes the writing less stilted. Also, we talk more openly to our friends than to a general audience, and a smooth, informal flow is the secret of good writing.

21. i adore the important info you offer in your post. I will bookmark your blog and have my son check up here often. I am rather sure they will study a huge of new stuff here than anybody else!

22. Wooden Jigsaw Puzzle says:

Your post is really good and informative. I'm surprised that your post has not gotten any good quality, genuine comments. You have done a great job by posting this article. Thanks !!!