To be honest, I was never a big fan of Primos grunt calls until they came out with the original Buck Roar. I had always stuck by the Tru Talker as my go to grunt tube by Hunters Specialties. The problem with the Tru Talker for me wasn't the grunt it produced, but rather the lack of volume I could produce with the call before it would break up. The latest offering by the boys at Primos is the Up Roar "Triple Threat Deer Call". This grunt call is capable of making those loud long range calls without breaking up while also producing nice and accurate sounding soft subtle grunts.
Things I really like about the Up Roar:
- The call has two chambers, one for buck grunts and estrous doe bleats. It also has snort wheeze tube.
- It is produced with a rubber like polymer, not hard plastic.
- It includes an arm strap, but also has built in loops to attach a lanyard. (Lanyard not included.)
- Produces a very nice buck grunt, very easy to go from soft subtle grunts to loud aggressive grunts.
- Being able to ditch having to carry a separate call to produce estrous bleats.
- Comes with a lifetime service guarnatee from Primos.
A look down the barrel at the two chambers and snort wheeze tube.
Things I feel could be improved on:
- The estrous bleat is a little loud for close range calling. You cannot change the pitch of bleat like you can with the grunt chamber from soft to loud.
- There is no "o" ring provided with the call to change the pitch of the grunts on the reed assembly. (Although I do not feel it needs adjustment, you may feel differently.) You could easily add your own however.
A photo of the call disassembled showing the reed.
The great sounding grunts this call produces along with the fact you can ditch having to carry a second call to produce bleats makes this call a winner in my opinion. It is quiet (from the rubber polymer) and also compact for being a 3 in 1 call. For someone looking to trim some fat from their packs this call can do that for you by being able to leave that extra bleat call at home.